Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2021, 02:07:26 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: SIGN UP FOR AN ACCOUNT HERE...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Southgate  (Read 1286 times)
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »

Why could he not see during the second half that the game was slipping away from England. Italy were pinning us down in our own half,and a one goal lead was far too perilous. The same thing happened in 2018 against Croatia. Mancini took decisive action after they conceded, and totally changed the shape of his team.Southgate either stubbornly decided to keep things as they were or simply didn't know what to do. Last night was a huge opportunity missed and England failed to grasp it.Did he not watch the Spain V Italy match?Spain opened Italy up on numerous occasions and squandered really good chances. It's obviously not in Southgate's nature to be decisive or adventurous . England will win nothing under him. No doubt his sanctification in the media will see him continue as manager.
Tortured_Mind

JUST HEARD HE NEVER MADE IT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »

MAYBE BECAUSE HE'S NOT THAT GOOD A MANAGER !!!   

Theres a name from the past. The last time I saw that bum he was sniffing glue outside HMV over 35 years ago with all the other deadbeats
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 12:50:56 PM »

MAYBE BECAUSE HE'S NOT THAT GOOD A MANAGER !!!   

I'm afraid you are right. In my book he isn't a wily tactician. He may be good at man  management and dancing to the new woke tune required by the F.A. ,but I don't think he could change a game.
John Theone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »

Why could he not see during the second half that the game was slipping away from England. Italy were pinning us down in our own half,and a one goal lead was far too perilous. The same thing happened in 2018 against Croatia. Mancini took decisive action after they conceded, and totally changed the shape of his team.Southgate either stubbornly decided to keep things as they were or simply didn't know what to do. Last night was a huge opportunity missed and England failed to grasp it.Did he not watch the Spain V Italy match?Spain opened Italy up on numerous occasions and squandered really good chances. It's obviously not in Southgate's nature to be decisive or adventurous . England will win nothing under him. No doubt his sanctification in the media will see him continue as manager.

He has learned nothing since he did the same at Boro

Nothing is coming home under him

Can't stand the man

MF(c) DOOM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:13 PM »

He got a few things wrong last night but ultimately I just think England were a bit short and there wasn't a great deal he could have done about it. Players are often viewed more favourably when they are not on the pitch. Everyone championing Grealish but in reality does he give you that much, wins a lot of fouls but his productivity stats aren't great? For me Southgate is a far better manager than most who have had the job. He has steered us to semi and a final in the last two major tournaments which nobody has got near since Alf Ramsay. He can still improve tactically, but overall he has us playing to a shape, with an identity and the players obviously love him. Results are pretty good to

I'm pretty confident that Southgate will have England competing at the business end of tournaments for the next 6 years and I've never ever had that feeling about an England team before.

That said we were pretty shit last night   
John Theone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »

Results are barely adequate (apart from Ukraine)

We couldn't even beat the sweaties FFS!

He has one area of expertise and that is defence - its all he knows and he leans heavily on it which is why we scramble along winning 1-0 if we're lucky

He was comprehensively out manoeuvred by Mancini last night

Worst thing is he doesn't learn from his mistakes - he was doing exactly this back in 2008 when he got us relegated and booted out of the FAC by Cardiff

I'm sure he'll continue to do the same for the next 6 years but he'll stay in a job because his yes man approach suits the FA.

Personally I hope he fails miserably at the World Cup
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »

You know what you will get with Southgate. Ultra caution and total emphasis on defense, and not conceding. He wants to win every game one nil. Flair, and imaginative football plus tactical nous are foreign to his nature. I’ve now had a few more days to reflect on Sunday and I feel even more pissed off than after the penalties. We will never have a better chance of winning a major trophy. He blew it.
Ollyboro
Mackems existing: When political correctness goes mad

Infant Herpes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »

If, like me, you think England should be managed by an Englishman, there aren't any outstanding candidates available. Certainly none with a World Cup semi and a Euro Final under their belt. I doubt Allardyce would have done any better, and his CV is hardly a ringing endorsement to  success against Johnny Foreigner. Irrespective of Sunday, Southgate's record is more impressive than any other English coach. If Gerrard can get Rangers through the Champions League group stages, then that would be impressive. We shall see.

I know where you live
Minge

Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »

Should of battered us to be fair , we got an early goal and it unsettled them
If we hadn’t we’d of been well beat in 90 mins
Gingerpig

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 06:26:57 PM »

Great player for us without doubt , but watching England Italy was like watching us v Cardiff when he was also out thought .......appears to have not learned a lot , still worries more what the opponents can do than his side ?

The Anti fascists of today are the fascists of tomorrow
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 08:33:18 PM »

All this racist stuff is nothing more than a diversion to keep the flak from Southgate. Rio Ferdinand called it when he says Southgate froze,and was incapable of turning the game around.
Mister Mann

Follow the Boro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 07:37:59 AM »

All this racist stuff is nothing more than a diversion to keep the flak from Southgate. Rio Ferdinand called it when he says Southgate froze,and was incapable of turning the game around.

Not really. It was the 3 players that froze taking the penalties.
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »

Penalties are a lottery. Even the greatest of players can miss a penalty. After all thecItalians failed with two. The game was lost because Southgate did not know how to change the game. He failed.
Minge

Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »

Change the game ? How ?
They are a far better team and we held on to get to extra time in a euro final , what did you want him to do ?!
Go all out and try snatch a win …leaving the more technically talented even more space to end our fate ?
Sick of hearing Southgate fucked up but nobody has given a solid reason how
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 08:13:14 PM »

So Southgate’s only hope was penalties.How pathetic is that.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 08:16:50 PM »

England were the better team for 20 minutes, the Italians were struggling all over the pitch. Georginio or however you spell it went down and pretended to be injured, he went off and got “treatment” what he was really doing was getting instructions from Mancini and the coaching staff. The Italians made a subtle change and nullified our wing backs. They were pinging diagonals into the corners behind our wing backs, especially Trippier. It nullified our attacking threat wide and we got deeper and deeper. Second half he could and IMO should have changed it, back 4. Foden on Grealish and Sancho, trippier could have been replaced, rice and Stirling who both looked fucked.
That’s my take on it.

So fuck off
Bill Buxton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 08:25:25 PM »

I agree with your analysis. As you point out, Southgate’s reluctance ( or inability)  to change things second half lost us the match.
Minge

Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 10:42:34 PM »

I started to reply, but fuck it .
Would be like explaining the off side rule to our lass .

Mister Mann

Follow the Boro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2021, 11:51:54 PM »

Penalties are a lottery. Even the greatest of players can miss a penalty. After all thecItalians failed with two. The game was lost because Southgate did not know how to change the game. He failed.

Penalties are not a lottery, never have been. The team that keeps its nerve wins. Three of our players took shocking penalties, which negated Pickford's heroics. After Pickford's first save I honestly expected us to go on and win. Not to be. What's the solution then? Penalties being an integral part of the game, an excellent penalty coach is required. Step forward John Hickton.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 07:40:14 AM »

I started to reply, but fuck it .
Would be like explaining the off side rule to our lass .

We get it minge.

You think Southgates nice!!
headset

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2021, 10:02:38 AM »

I DREAD TO THINK WHAT WE WOULD HAVE BEEN READING HAD WE GOT KNOCKED IN THE GROUP STAGES......TALK ABOUT THROWING YOUR TOYS OUT THE PRAM FOR LOSING A FINAL... DEAR ME!!
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »

And a semi final we could have won. He’s defensive minded, that’s a fact. No dummy spitting from me, fantastic journey, enjoyed all of it except the jock game and penalties. He still needs to trust his flair players.
Minge

Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2021, 03:24:06 PM »

Maybe, but not against a team far better than us , who given a chance would rip us apart .
John Theone

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »

Maybe, but not against a team far better than us , who given a chance would rip us apart .

They were given a chance when we sat back and defended from 25 mins in
Ollyboro
Mackems existing: When political correctness goes mad

Infant Herpes

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 09:08:44 PM »

I've been stewing on the final since the final. I'm really pissed off that we didn't put 8 forwards on. Seriously, it could have been legendary. Death or fucking 2nd place. Instead, we got a teenager to try and score a penalty. Shite from Gareth.

I know where you live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length