Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2021, 07:54:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: SIGN UP FOR AN ACCOUNT HERE...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dangerous sports  (Read 775 times)
Bob End and his Sexy Bitch

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2021, 10:44:13 AM »

Gordon McQueen is in the news again, raising the subject of heading the ball. Two other games I love are now surely too dangerous to carry on as they are? Both codes of rugby are mental now.

Do we ban heading in training/in matches. What the hell do you do about rugby union, ffs?
Itchy_ring

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 11:58:22 AM »

Heard a very good potential solution for Rugby U last week, essentially a plan to make it less about strength/size by giving the attacking team the line out in the opp 22 if attacking team finds touch from their own half.  I'll try and find the link as I can't remember the rationale but apparently trialling it somewhere in southern hemisphere
whighams_wig

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:15:15 PM »

Rugby league have the 40/20 for few years now which is what you are looking at id think, certainly the injuries caused needs looking at but as was seen in the Wales game union is now too technical and relies on the refs interpretation. WTF the officials were thinking about in awarding the knock on try is beyond me and made a laughing stock of decisions made by them on occasions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »

Yes, that ref had a bloody mare, but we gave away penalty after penalty and got well beat in the end.

I watched the premiership round-up last night. There were a number of binnings and sending offs for high tackles. The game is so quick that in most cases you couldn't tell whether there was intent. Mind, one was just daft. It's just that the players now are so powerful (FAR more than Bill Beaumont's day) that it is ludicrously dangerous.

Went Twickenham 18 months ago and 85,000 people gasped at a number of the collisions
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 12:52:56 PM »

RL don’t ruck and mail, have uncontested scrums, by fuck they have huge hits though. I can see disclaimers being signed
Minge

Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 01:08:53 PM »

Dosnt really matter that much, next to nofucker gives a shit about rugby .
If the seats weren’t for nowt nobody would go

Gingerpig

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »

Someone otr has a season ticket for harlequins..... To go with a tesla 

The Anti fascists of today are the fascists of tomorrow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 01:46:59 PM »

Shaddapp, ya twat
Minge

Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »

Itchy_ring

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »

Someone otr has a season ticket for harlequins..... To go with a tesla 

Said on here a few times I've got season tickets at Quins, excellent afternoon out, what footy should be, have a laugh, drink in the stands, band in the bar after, player who are happy to chat to fans and kids can get selfies with  :like:

Unlike ST I don't go in my stripey blazer with a load of others dressed the same, I go with a group of pissed up builders and electricians
whighams_wig

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »

Im better off watching league as its easier to understand and the fans are generally as sharp as me so dont have to discuss the technicalities for half an hour.
I didnt even think Farrell could roll away from the opponent with another taff on his back stopping him so for me wasnt a penalty that the french twat let them take early for the other shite try.
No sour grapes hear though as Englands discipline was bollocks and the welsh lads didnt take the knee bollox so pleased they won after all that
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »

Heard a very good potential solution for Rugby U last week, essentially a plan to make it less about strength/size by giving the attacking team the line out in the opp 22 if attacking team finds touch from their own half.  I'll try and find the link as I can't remember the rationale but apparently trialling it somewhere in southern hemisphere

Wouldn't that just make forwards' impact phases more frequent?

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
Jimmy Cooper

The ace face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »

Accept the risks of a contact sport or don't play them. There is no doubt they will ban heading in football and sliding tackles after that, it will be reduced to five a side rules.
Don,'t follow ruby but I've read  certain types of tackle need to be outlawed because off the size and weight of the players these days. Does all this punching off the Ball and other types  of thuggish behaviour still go on?.

"you can take the mail and the franking machine and all that other rubbish I have to go about with and you can stuff them right up your arse!” "
Itchy_ring

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »

I think the feeling is that the players would be more spread out so more running to catch people as opposed to just lining the big hit and less double tackles, remembered the other part of the piece I heard also said that they should reduce the number of subs so that you don’t get a new pack trotting off the bench on 50/60 mins so again there would be a need to be a bit less muscular/ physical
Itchy_ring

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 07:47:13 PM »

Does all this punching off the Ball and other types  of thuggish behaviour still go on?.

Not much at top levels these days, sure it still probably does with the lads playing it for “fun” 
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »

It was almost like a badge of honour to have the heaviest pack. Limited players were getting picked because they were huge.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 03:17:01 PM »

I think the feeling is that the players would be more spread out so more running to catch people as opposed to just lining the big hit and less double tackles, remembered the other part of the piece I heard also said that they should reduce the number of subs so that you don’t get a new pack trotting off the bench on 50/60 mins so again there would be a need to be a bit less muscular/ physical

I think that increasing the amount of play in the 22s will make the forwards v forwards contest more concentrated rather than spread out. Seems counter-intuitive to me.

Itchy_ring

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »

Not sure the trial have done much to prove it either way need to do something though build of players now is stupid, maybe just instigate a 5 pint a day minimum diet requirement  :beer:
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »

:alf:

Might start playing again.

38red

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »

Not sure the trial have done much to prove it either way need to do something though build of players now is stupid, maybe just instigate a 5 pint a day minimum diet requirement  :beer:

They would just invent steroid beer
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 06:26:08 PM »

I used to play rugby - mostly union (and a bit of league).

It was very dangerous back then too - I snapped my ankle ligaments while playing.

#TRUESTORY.

Driving home after the game wasn't fun.

rava

PS: On the plus side I did also break someone else's ribs.  On accident.

Official COB Prediction League Winner 2017/18/19/20
Official CLEM vs THUNDER Winner 2016/17/18/19/20/INFINITY
COB 2020 Battlenips: PEOPLE'S Champion
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 10:55:58 PM »

I used to play rugby - mostly union (and a bit of league).

It was very dangerous back then too - I snapped my ankle ligaments while playing.

#TRUESTORY.

Driving home after the game wasn't fun.

rava

PS: On the plus side I did also break someone else's ribs.  On accident.

Tried to drive home once with a fucked hamstring and crashed my car into a tree.
As luck would have it the tree survived.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length