Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 02:48:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: We go again...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It's twoo.  (Read 66810 times)
madman
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:10:45 AM »

Much of Cheshire is built on salt.

You can tell by the names- Nantwich, Northwich, Middlewich - 'wich' or 'wych' meaning a saltwater spring.

Not a lot of people know that.  :-*
madman
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »

The beer 'Old Speckled Hen' is named after a car.

In 1927, MG had built a one-off prototype saloon with a fabric body of gold and stippled black,  used as a company runaround.

The locals referred to it as 'Old Speckled Un' which over time became 'Old Speckled Hen'.

In 1979, when the Abingdon brewery of MORLAND'S was asked to brew a special beer to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the MG factory, they named the ale 'Old Speckled Hen'.

Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »

The beer 'Old Speckled Hen' is named after a car.

In 1927, MG had built a one-off prototype saloon with a fabric body of gold and stippled black,  used as a company runaround.

The locals referred to it as 'Old Speckled Un' which over time became 'Old Speckled Hen'.

In 1979, when the Abingdon brewery of MORLAND'S was asked to brew a special beer to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the MG factory, they named the ale 'Old Speckled Hen'.

It's written on the label, isn't it?
madman
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »

I was not aware of that. 
DavidShayler
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »

Four of the world's smallest mountains are left-handed.
MB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »

Cheese can not be eaten on a Tuesday in Assam region of India.

DavidShayler
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

The males of the Tpuk Wip tribe staple their penises to their inner thighs, so they may run faster.
madman
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »

Standing almost side by side on the A5 Watling Street in STONY-STRATFORD are the COCK and the BULL, inns of ancient repute.

In the 18th century coaches would stop off here on their way from London to the north west, and many a traveller's tale would be embellished as it flew between the 2 establishments, fuelled by strong ale and a receptive audience. 

Hence and unlikely story became a Cock and Bull story.

Fan E Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »

Yes

I was not aware of that. 
Well, not a lot of people know that.
madman
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »

The earliest recorded English Song is 'Sumer is icumen in' written in 1240 by John of Fornsete, a monk from Reading.

Not a lot of people know that.  :-*
DavidShayler
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »

If we suddenly became extinct, nothing would remain of our "civilisation" after 65 million years, apart from microscopic beads of plastic. It is the absence of these beads, in the geological record, that convinces paleantologists that dinosaurs did not invent, or enjoy the benefits of, an iPhone.
Fan E Rat
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »

A ship's Captain while at sea does not have the right to officiate at weddings on his ship.

Water does not drain in the other direction south of the equator.

The earliest recorded English Song is 'Sumer is icumen in' written in 1240 by John of Fornsete, a monk from Reading.
And we're still waiting for the album.
madman
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »

Built in1838 by IK Brunel, the Sounding Arch Bridge  over the Thames at Maidenhead has the widest and flattest brick arch in the world. It has a span of 128 feet and rises only 24 feet.

The bridge was the subject of a painting by JMW Turner.

Not a lot of people know that.  :)
Fan E Rat
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

Harold Wilson did not call a snap election after the 1966 World Cup Final.
madman
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »

Yes

I was not aware of that. 
Well, not a lot of people know that.

:tuncay1:
DavidShayler
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »

I got into a shit load of trouble, at school, over this. Our geography master maintained that it did. I went home, got in the bath and, lo, discovered I could make clockwise and anti-clockwise draining vortices with ease. Went back to school and argued. If I hadn't used the word "rubbish" I'd have probably saved my arse from a beating.
Fan E Rat
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »

The space occupied by water in Loch Ness could accomodate fit every human ever.

This is widely known.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:18:45 AM by The Wizard of Smog » Logged
Fan E Rat
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »

I got into a shit load of trouble, at school, over this. Our geography master maintained that it did. I went home, got in the bath and, lo, discovered I could make clockwise and anti-clockwise draining vortices with ease. Went back to school and argued. If I hadn't used the word "rubbish" I'd have probably saved my arse from a beating.
They were more civilised at Junction Farm. When I, aged about 8, pointed out that vaccum was a spelig mistake the teacher at first disputed this but later apologised and thanked me in front of the class. What a nauseating little shit I must have been.
madman
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »

The Ostrich pub in Colnbrook, Bucks is the 3rd oldest pub in England. In the 17th century landlord Thomas Jarman designed an ingenious bed which was nailed to a trapdoor above the kitchen.

When his prosperous guest fell asleep on said bed he and his wife would unbolt the trapdoor, so that the bed tipped up and the unfortunate sleeper would descend into a vat of boiling water set up on the stove below.

The guest's body was then flung in the nearby river and his horse and belongings sold to unsuspecting passers-by. The brook and later the village  became known as Colnbrook named after their last victim.

A replica of the bed can be seen in the pub today.

Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 10:26:25 AM »

I've got a Richard Thompson album with that song on it.

When you say "recorded" do you mean on wax cylinder or something?

DavidShayler
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »

The Ostrich pub in Colnbrook, Bucks is the 3rd oldest pub in England. In the 17th century landlord Thomas Jarman designed an ingenious bed which was nailed to a trapdoor above the kitchen.

When his prosperous guest fell asleep on said bed he and his wife would unbolt the trapdoor, so that the bed tipped up and the unfortunate sleeper would descend into a vat of boiling water set up on the stove below.

The guest's body was then flung in the nearby river and his horse and belongings sold to unsuspecting passers-by. The brook and later the village  became known as Colnbrook named after their last victim.

Sounds like an awfully long-winded way to go about killing someone. Why didn't they just ram a pointy stick up his nose (or arse) when he was asleep?
madman
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »

What, in 1240?
Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »

If a snail crawled up inside your trouser leg it would be two and a half hours before you said "Ooh, that was nice."
Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »

What, in 1240?
That's why I questioned it.
madman
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »

The Isle of Ely is named after the eels found in the waters that once surrounded this small hill rising 68 feet above the fens.

Not a lot of people know that  :-*
DavidShayler
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 10:36:10 AM »

Most sheep are tone deaf but one, born near Driffield, Yorkshire, in 1846, could baa the complete final movement of Beethoven's Ninth.
madman
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »

Oliver Cromwell's remains rest in an unmarked grave near the doors to the chapel of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.

Quite a few people know that.  :-*
Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »

Wee Jimmy Krankie has no cock and balls.. ..sort of like that South African runner but in reverse.
madman
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »

In 1216 King John lost the Crown Jewels and other plundered booty while crossing the Wellstream estuary outside of King's Lynn.

His horsecarts carrying the swag sank in the mud and the waters closed above them. King John had to swim for his life but died one week later.

The area still attracts bounty hunters looking for the ill-gotten gains.  

One ot two people know that  :-*
Anti Boris
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

An Octopus can defeat any other animal.
madman
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »

In 1553 Mary Tudor, Henry the 8th's daughter, was riding to London to see her brother, King Edward VI, unaware that he had died and Lady Jane Grey had been proclaimed Queen.

A secret message reached Mary telling her that a trap had been laid for her so she would be held hostage and imprisoned. She thus changed course and headed to a safe house, Sawston Hall in Cambridgeshire. Next day she escaped by dressing as a kitchen maid.

The soldiers who had sought her then burnt the beautiful house to the ground in anger. Mary went on to become Queen and Lady Jane lost her head. She later orederd that a new mansion be built on the remains of the old hall.

DavidShayler
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

An ambidextrous vole can beat the shit out of any octopus
Fan E Rat
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »

Fewer still believe it I imagine.
madman
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

Chester races are the oldest sporting event still held at the original venue, dating back to 1540.

Not a lot etc.  :-*
DavidShayler
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »

James Joyce wrote Finnegan's Wake backwards, starting with the full-stop at the end.
madman
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »

The first house in the world to be lit by gas is in Redruth Cornwall ( 1794)

Not a lot of grockles know that.  :-*
Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »

The first call received on Thomas Edison's prototype telephone was a wrong number.
madman
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »

The oldest |Christian Church in Britain is St. Piran's in Newquay.

Not a lot of grockles know that.  :-*
madman
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »

The highest lake in England is Broad Crag Tarn on Scafell Pike.

Height 2748 feet.

Waddya mean, So What.  :-*
madman
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »

The word 'vaccination' comes from the Latin word for cow, vacca. As the first injection contained the pus from an infected cow to counter smallpox it is so named.

It was carried out by Benjamin Jesty, a farmer, to counter the symptoms his children had picked up.

It would be 20 years later that Edward Jenner became famous for this procedure.

Not al ot of people know this  :-*
madman
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

Daniel Defoe wrote Robinson Crusoe whilst lodging in Gatehead.

C'est vrai.  :-*
vits

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »

Oliver Cromwell's remains rest in an unmarked grave near the doors to the chapel of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.

Quite a few people know that.  :-*

Many have since reported, that Cromwell’s body was not buried at Westminster but by his own Order, to prevent any insult upon it, was either in a leaden coffin cast into the Thames; or carried to his place of Victory in Naseby field.
madman
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »

His head kicked around for a bit, like.
madman
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »

In 1696 a new energetic minister built a chapel at Maldon in Essex. His semons were extremely fervent and animated. His name was JOSEPH BILLIO.

Hence the expression, 'to do something like Billio.'

Its twoo its twoo. :-*
madman
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »

At the old corn Exchange in Brizzle are four bronze pedestals called Nails. They were used by merchants for transactions and when a deal had been agreed the cash was placed on top of the 'nail'.

Hence the expression' to pay on the nail'

Yup.  :-*
DavidShayler
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »

Every glass of water you drink contains water drunk by everyone who has ever lived, ever.
Smoggy Suicide
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »

Every glass of water you drink contains water drunk by everyone who has ever lived, ever.

Even newborn babies?
DavidShayler
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »

Even newborn babies?

Especially. Babies are 92.84% water. Water someone else has not only drunk, but pissed.
vits

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »

The term doolally comes from the town of Deolali in India, a port where British soldiers would arrive on the subcontinent get dysentery pretty shortly after and be delirious for several days afterwards.
madman
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »

The sport of Badminton was 'invented' at Badminton Housenear Brizzle in 1863 by the children of the 8th Duke of Beaufort who were seeking something to do in a bleak English midwinter. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length