Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 02:19:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: A NEW ERA IS HERE...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Could any manager have done any better last night?  (Read 1182 times)
BorosToplessBus
« on: October 12, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »

The Croatians seem to take this whole thing a lot more serious than the English, as quotes from their papers show;

n Vecernji List said the entire country "was shedding tears of joy for knocking the Three Lions' teeth down their throats.

"It was a night to remember and we won the battle with self-belief, passion in our hearts, love for our country but with a clear head too," it said.

"Even the famous England walked away empty handed from the unconquerable Croatian fortress.

"We have knocked over the cradle of football and this must be the sweetest if not the greatest Croatia victory over a world-class opponent."

Was a defeat not  likely from a team on a 30 match unbeaten run at home?  Is it not the case that the English have in recent years less pride in all things English.  We blame our selves in Britain for everything that has gone wrong in the world.  We wring our hands over every war and conflict and blame ourselves.  We have had our pride educated out of us.  We bow and scrape to every faith and religion,  then deride our own.

It is no surprise that the players cannot lift their game for their country.  And no manager can make them.  I think a similar attitude affects all the major western European national teams. France and Italy have the same malaise,  Germany  play like they have little pride.

The smaller nations have more a sense of nationality and national pride. Few of them are playing in the big money leagues. 

It's not down to the manager and tactics,  the players are just not up for it.
gaizka14

HOLD UP! HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:10:05 PM »

I dont care about the england football team anymore.

I have indeed seen the light

Great Smog #2
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:46:46 PM »

I think a similar attitude affects all the major western European national teams. France and Italy have the same malaise,  Germany  play like they have little pride.

wait a minute. France and Italy just contested the last World Cup Final. Germany's record is second only to Brazil.

On the manager - not all down to the manager but McLaren is no International standard one.
murphy_smoggie
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »

I think a similar attitude affects all the major western European national teams. France and Italy have the same malaise,  Germany  play like they have little pride.

wait a minute. France and Italy just contested the last World Cup Final. Germany's record is second only to Brazil.

On the manager - not all down to the manager but McLaren is no International standard one.

hear hear

theres no arguement about other top trams doing the same, its just the typical english attitude, we just seem to think that if we turn up, we will win
A Cam Goes Wandering
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:50:42 PM »

Looks like Croatia took things a little too seriously. "Cradle of football" - but done fuck all for 40 years and not much before then either...

And after all those excellent results we'd had against Andorra and Macedonia and whoever else it was...
The Wizard of Smog
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »

The Croatians seem to take this whole thing a lot more serious than the English, as quotes from their papers show;

n Vecernji List said the entire country "was shedding tears of joy for knocking the Three Lions' teeth down their throats.

"It was a night to remember and we won the battle with self-belief, passion in our hearts, love for our country but with a clear head too," it said.

"Even the famous England walked away empty handed from the unconquerable Croatian fortress.

"We have knocked over the cradle of football and this must be the sweetest if not the greatest Croatia victory over a world-class opponent."

Was a defeat not  likely from a team on a 30 match unbeaten run at home?  Is it not the case that the English have in recent years less pride in all things English.  We blame our selves in Britain for everything that has gone wrong in the world.  We wring our hands over every war and conflict and blame ourselves.  We have had our pride educated out of us.  We bow and scrape to every faith and religion,  then deride our own.

It is no surprise that the players cannot lift their game for their country.  And no manager can make them.  I think a similar attitude affects all the major western European national teams. France and Italy have the same malaise,  Germany  play like they have little pride.

The smaller nations have more a sense of nationality and national pride. Few of them are playing in the big money leagues. 

It's not down to the manager and tactics,  the players are just not up for it.
The sort of rabid patriotism you describe is commoner in rubbish little countries it's true. But, as GS2 has mentioned,  if there is a malaise and France and Italy have it, how come they were the world cup finalists?

We're not great at football and we got beat last night - that's it. No need for all this silly garment rending.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:57:53 PM »

[
The sort of rabid patriotism you describe is commoner in rubbish little countries it's true. But, as GS2 has mentioned,  if there is a malaise and France and Italy have it, how come they were the world cup finalists?

We're not great at football and we got beat last night - that's it. No need for all this silly garment rending.

OK, I retract my critcism of your standing as pieman extraordinaire.
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »

if there is a malaise and France and Italy have it, how come they were the world cup finalists?

I don't think they would have reached the final if it was held outside Europe.  Wasn't the best of world cups anyway.

A Cam Goes Wandering
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »

if there is a malaise and France and Italy have it, how come they were the world cup finalists?

I don't think they would have reached the final if it was held outside Europe.  Wasn't the best of world cups anyway.

Sophistry at its best
The Wizard of Smog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »

Riight
wobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »

hear hear

theres no arguement about other top trams doing the same, its just the typical english attitude, we just seem to think that if we turn up, we will win

Yeah and to be honest most supporters still live on planet where 1966 still matters and have the same "How dare they play well against us" attitude.

England are shite for one reason ..... the league has been swamped by foreigners.

I think cap the wages & limit the foreign imports in the squads then we will see the very best of English talent breaking through & playing regularly.

Ok the EU would probably throw a double 6 over thos type of rules but fuck em we're British & only attached to europe by some umbilical cord that the Johnny Foreigners use as a route to benefits and free housing.

We win the bloody war & we're left to take in the world's waifs & strays
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 02:05:32 PM »

France and Italy aren't exactly barnstorming in this competition.
gaizka14

HOLD UP! HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »

Germany are

I have indeed seen the light

The Wizard of Smog
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »

England are shite for one reason ..... the league has been swamped by foreigners.
So for what reason(s) were we shite in every competition between 66 and 90?
SouthernSmogette
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »

To be fair - my manager might have done, because she sure as shit ain't made for managing a marketing team.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 02:17:19 PM »

Mirandinha
wobbler
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 02:33:32 PM »

Penalty taking is what dumped us in a couple of tournaments & also the turn up & we will win attitude that is apparent amongst many supporters & players that have worn the 3 lions.

We need to learn to play for 95 minutes not just 90 & also to attack like fuck when the other team goes down to 10 men ..... Brazil in 2002 springs immediately to mind.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

Penalty taking is what dumped us in a couple of tournaments & also the turn up & we will win attitude that is apparent amongst many supporters & players that have worn the 3 lions.

1966 to 1990

1970 bad tactical move from Sr Alf. West Germany 3 England 2
1974 DID NOT QUALIFY
1978 DID NOT QUALIFY
1982 worthy effort in Spain. Was it the second round they got knocked out?
1986 hand of  god, but a much better team as well
1990 finally!!! knocked out on penalties

............ agreed attitude may be a problem, but from 1966 to 1990, penalties wasn't the issue.

English International football is just consistently mediocre and has been now for 40 years - I just don't think no. of penalties, foreigners or strength of anthem singing is THE problem.
wobbler
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »

Overuse of foreign imports in the league since the inception of the Premiership has to have had a contributing effect on the International stage in recent years.

Granted in previous times to that attitude of  the players has been pretty shite.

The media also has to have contributed in recent times .... they seem to toll the bell before a ball has been kicked in anger & the constant interference in personal lives of players & other officials seems to go far beyond the realms of decency.

Fair enough if theyre running around raping n murdering then expose them but if theyre just getting pissed and being rich playboys then so fuckin what.

Personally i am not bothered if Sven is shaggin Ulrika or if Smac is playin spank the monkey with Anne Robinson ..... All i want to know is whether the England team can deliver on the pitch ..... And at the moment they can't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length