Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2019, 11:52:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: BORO 14/1 TO WIN THE 2019/20 CHAMPIONSHIP HERE...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ROB DIXON - DOWNING ENGLAND'S BEST ON THE LEFT  (Read 1154 times)
SteveG
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »

Well, he just is...

http://www.comeonboro.com/columns/111803.htm
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »

The people who hold Joe Cole so dear for his left-sided play are deluded. On Saturday, Downing made two chances in the second half with two kicks of the ball. It takes Cole five stepovers and a turn onto his right foot to do the same. The advantages of a balanced 4-4-2 with left sided players in left sided positions will eventually reap rewards.

For now though, Stewie needs our wholehearted support to overcome this unfair criticism heís receiving from the national press. I canít help but think that some of it stems from the fact he remains with Boro.

Spot on!  Whatever Joe Cole is,  he cannot take Downings place.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »

[Spot on!† Whatever Joe Cole is,† he cannot take Downings place.

Is he supposed to? Cole has probably had enough good games for England to justify a place (Sweden was the last I think). He has also had a season and a half where he has been one of the better players with the champions. Maybe this justifies a place in the England team. You watch Cole at Chelsea (which I do reasonably often) and the crowd lifts as soon as he gets the ball. I saw a comment her from a season ticket holder who said that used to happen with Downing, but doesn't anymore.

I don't buy the anti-northern Downing line. Even our own supporters have mixed views about him (Bob, where are you?). He really hasn't shown anything like the form that he had before he was injured, at least not on anything like a consistent basis. He looks to be like a goodenough player for a mid table PL side (and that is more than enough for the Boro), maybe a England squad player. First choice for the left side of an International team wanting to compete at the top? I just don't see it.
gaizka14

HOLD UP! HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »

Would you play Wayne Rooney right back? no, why? Because he is a centre forward.

Joe Cole is a trick pony, one WITHOUT a lef tfoot, so why play him there. Why not kick Stevie Me out on his overrated scouse arse and put Cole right wing.

Downing is the best left footed, left winger in England. That is the undispuitable truth. The only reason people get on his back is because all they will be pissing off is Boro fans, and they dont really care about doing that do they?

I have indeed seen the light

Great Smog #2
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

Would you play Wayne Rooney right back? no, why? Because he is a centre forward.

Joe Cole is a trick pony, one WITHOUT a lef tfoot, so why play him there. Why not kick Stevie Me out on his overrated scouse arse and put Cole right wing.

Downing is the best left footed, left winger in England. That is the undispuitable truth. The only reason people get on his back is because all they will be pissing off is Boro fans, and they dont really care about doing that do they?

No but Joe Cole has played successfully on the left side if midfield for the PL champions and reasonably successfully for the England team. I wouldn't put Rooney at right back - Neville is playing better at International level than anythime in his career.

I completely agree about Gerrard (and Lampard for that matter), Cole would probably do a better job than both once fit.

It still doesn't make Downing goodenough to be an England player though.
gaizka14

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 02:07:02 PM »

Damn you with your coherant arguments!

BorosToplessBus
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »

SWP and Andy Cole are great players,  but Downing is the best for the left side. He was let down badly by Ashley Cole on Saturday.   

Had Ashley been on form, I think it would have been a far more effective left side.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 02:09:25 PM »

Got the medication sorted out today. Very disappointed to hear the news on getting access to Alzheimer's medication today though.
gaizka14

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 02:11:27 PM »

monkey mcl

Great Smog #2
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 02:13:30 PM »

SWP and Andy Cole are great players,† but Downing is the best for the left side. He was let down badly by Ashley Cole on Saturday.† †

Had Ashley been on form, I think it would have been a far more effective left side.

A better performance from Cole would have enabled Downing to take the ball past his defender more often than he did? So he didn't want to try this too often as he knew that losing the ball would immediately expose Cole behind him, who wasn't playing well?

There is one thing - Cole seems to prefer playing with Cole rather than Downing. And that isn't helpful.

Bob End
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 02:13:50 PM »

Got the medication sorted out today. Very disappointed to hear the news on getting access to Alzheimer's medication today though.

I'd forgotten about that.
Bob End
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »

SWP and Andy Cole are great players,† but Downing is the best for the left side. He was let down badly by Ashley Cole on Saturday.† †

A better performance from Cole would have enabled Downing to take the ball past his defender more often than he did? So he didn't want to try this too often as he knew that losing the ball would immediately expose Cole behind him, who wasn't playing well?

There is one thing - Cole seems to prefer playing with Cole rather than Downing. And that isn't helpful.

Ashley Cole is rubbish.
rob_dixon1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 03:42:38 PM »

I certainly don't think McClaren should sacrifice Joe Cole's place in the side.

Why do England managers miss the logic of taking out off-form players? The obvious thing to do on the return of JC is to move Gerrard into the centre and pop Cole on the right wing. That means axing one of the least effective players in all of McClaren's games so far: Frank Lampard.

He barely deserved the credit for that fluke against Greece and what has he done of any note? We're missing out on the power of Stevie G down the centre.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 04:09:10 PM »

Why do England managers miss the logic of taking out off-form players? The obvious thing to do on the return of JC is to move Gerrard into the centre and pop Cole on the right wing. That means axing one of the least effective players in all of McClaren's games so far: Frank Lampard.

He barely deserved the credit for that fluke against Greece and what has he done of any note? We're missing out on the power of Stevie G down the centre.

so the 4 become Downing, Hargreaves (when fit), Gerrard and Cole?
rob_dixon1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 01:41:48 PM »

so the 4 become Downing, Hargreaves (when fit), Gerrard and Cole?

....yes

I know on paper it sounds a little lightweight, but its balanced and plays to peoples' strengths
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length