Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 08:26:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: BORO 14/1 TO WIN THE 2019/20 CHAMPIONSHIP HERE...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spot on!  (Read 1124 times)
BorosToplessBus
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

Yet again.  I hope we give Stu a massive cheer on Saturday.

"Poor Stewart Downing. Our hero has inadvertently picked up the poisoned chalice as England's new boo-boy.

He must have wondered exactly what it was Owen Hargreaves had dropped that fateful day early in the World Cup campaign in Germany - but he knows now. Too late Stewie - you're it."

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/columnists/anthonyvickers/tm_headline=lay-off-stewie%26method=full%26objectid=17902971%26siteid=109975-name_page.html

"Yet Downing was savaged in the press. We knew it was coming as the ground had been prepared in recent weeks with hostile questions and sly digs in the press about "favouritism" and the qualities of right-footed Joe Cole.

But hold on a minute: where were the acidic attacks on Steve Gerrard, Frank Lampard - who has been awful for months - Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney? They are the big money world beaters. They are the superstars with magic in their boots.

If England can't beat Macedonia shouldn't the big boys carry the can rather than the novice who did his job and fired in the crosses?

We know the answer to that. Stewie is the new boo-boy and any objective assessment of his performance is irrelevant. Forget the facts, let's just get on with the lynching."

"Stewy took over the mantle from Owen Hargreaves who was widely berated by the national newspaper big-hitters and the armchair critics, UEFA licensed coaches to a man. He plays for Bayern and you don't get much bigger."
A Cam Goes Wandering
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »

You are Anthony Vickers aren't you?
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:41:44 PM »

No, I'm just his cyber stalker.

I cut and paste his stuff  'cos that's what he does (allegadley).
Great Smog #2
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »

At least Vickers has stopped trawling FMTTM for his story ideas. He has lifted this one from yesterday's Guardian.
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 01:48:39 PM »

Garbage.  He is saying exactly what some Boro fans are saying. Downing is being made a scapegoat.

The others are the sheep who read the papers and say;  "We told you Downing was crap".
Great Smog #2
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »

Garbage.  He is saying exactly what some Boro fans are saying. Downing is being made a scapegoat.

The others are the sheep who read the papers and say;  "We told you Downing was crap".

No, the Guardian ran a small piece yesterday asking how long it would be before Downing took over the mantle from Hargreaves as the boo-boys target. Vickers has just expanded it from 3 lines into the basis of a full article. It is OK, dveloping an argument isn't plagerism. I think it is a good sign that he has moved onto the Guardian from FMTTM as his primary source. There is a Harvard Business Review article this month on the nonsense of football finances - i think I might send him the link.
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »

Yes, you should.  I have found him to be a listener where fans are concerned. I emailed a couple of times myself asking him to expand on certain things.  He did it and a good job he made of it.

There is little new in football, it's the angles writers take and the job they make of it that makes good writers like AV stand out.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »

There is little new in football, it's the angles writers take and the job they make of it that makes good writers like AV stand out.

......... yes, especially when you lift the idea from one of the previous day's national dailys .................

monkey

Maybe he just assumes people don't read the Guardian on Teesside, with its southern bias and all .............
BorosToplessBus
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »

You assume it was from the Guardian,  but posters on here said the same a few days ago.

I thought that Downing had become a scapegoat.  I didn't need to pinch the idea. It's obvious that was becoming the case.

I'm just glad that some journalists are seeing the same thing and putting their point across instead of joining the lynching party.
Great Smog #2
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 02:53:23 PM »

I thought that Downing had become a scapegoat.  I didn't need to pinch the idea. It's obvious that was becoming the case.

The part he has 'developed' isn't the scapegoat (been around for months). The bit he did lift from the Guardian was taking on the mantle/role of Hargreaves. To my knowledge putting it in those exact terms first appeared in the Gaurdian yesterday (I stand to be corrected) and was then expanded on by Pullitzer Prize Vickers the following day. He has already said in his 'FMTTM' article (where he protests a bit too much I think - his therapist will be onto that one) that he is paid to read and talk about football all day. I have only a vague link to Fleet Street but evn we get all of the national dailies in the office everyday. I would be amazed if the Gazette office doesn't have the same, or the journalists trawl the nationals' websites for anything interesting. It is their job.
Big Shot
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 02:54:57 PM »

GS2, do you watch Arrested Development?
Great Smog #2
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 02:56:21 PM »

I think my Aricept isn't working too well today .......................
Big Shot
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »

I think my Aricept isn't working too well today .......................

(US Comedy Show on BBC2)...

anyway I thought of you when a joke was cracked about one of the characters being doubly qualified as an Analyst and a Therapist. 

He claimed he'd invented a new profession, until he got the business cards printed up, and then he realised the flaw.....

...Analrapist
Great Smog #2
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »

anyway I thought of you when a joke was cracked about one of the characters being doubly qualified as an Analyst and a Therapist. 

He claimed he'd invented a new profession, until he got the business cards printed up, and then he realised the flaw.....

...Analrapist

That is the last time I will share a Sahrk/Lawyer icon with you ................

I thought the 'Arrested Development' reference was because I was from the 70s when the feminist charge was that all men were autistic ................. sometimes your brain does too much work I think. If I am losing 25 million neurones a day, how come I am still making any connections? I look forward to the day when the whole thing shuts down ...........
wobbler
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »

No, I'm just his cyber stalker.

Are you Millet ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length