Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 11:45:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: A NEW ERA IS HERE...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Radio 6 - why does it have to be political?  (Read 455 times)
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »

I have been doing some DIY recently and been listening to Radio 6 as I like the eclectic range of music. Music is great in the main apart from some weird shit - BUT why does there have to be this cliche'd contempt and dislike of any thing right of centre from the presenters and their guests. Boris gets it constantly and US politics gets it (one side of it). Doesn't life become boring if everyone in your environment has the same political beliefs, gay and embraces veganism? Appreciate most musicians have a leftie leaning (which is about commercial branding in some cases) and lyrics inspired by politics and society. I note Morrisey isn't played much but Johnny Marr is adored.
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:55:45 AM »

all media outlets are ideological, look at the Daily Mail, Fox News, The Sun and so on an so on.....embracing things like equal rights regardless of sexuality and championing low environmental impact diets may well be seen as progressive  :ponce:

I listen to 6 Music everyday....can't say I have heard much chat about veganism to be fair.....there's always Smooth FM fella 

anyway I am off for a full English plant based fry up....laters 
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »

Gramsci - name me a single UK based broadcaster that isn't either left of center or far left?

You want to talk about newspapers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/529060/uk-newspaper-market-by-circulation/

The Guardian, which is for some reason held as a bastion of reporting by UK media is the least circulated of the national newspapers. How does it stay open selling so few copies? Easy, that would be Mr George Soros pumping millions into it.

Now onto the OP - the BBC has a royal charter of impartiality and they are publicly funded, using that platform to push leftist and far leftist views onto the general public is an abhorrent abuse of their mandate.

BBC Radio 6 claims of itself:

"6 Music brings together the cutting edge music of today, the iconic and groundbreaking music of the past 40 years"

There is no mention of political commentary, no mention of current affairs its purely an entertainment broadcast. You should not be subjected to political commentary, left or right on such a channel. By doing so the BBC, as it does so frequently shows a complete disregard for its royal charter and for the British public who are essentially forced to pay for it.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »

Lifeís full of hard choices. Listen or donít, how hard can that be :gaz:
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:24:26 AM »

Lifeís full of hard choices. Listen or donít, how hard can that be :gaz:

You're right, it should be that easy. Pay for it if you want it, or don't if you don't.

But it isn't, is it?
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 10:44:54 AM »

Gramsci - name me a single UK based broadcaster that isn't either left of center or far left?

The Guardian, which is for some reason held as a bastion of reporting by UK media is the least circulated of the national newspapers. How does it stay open selling so few copies? Easy, that would be Mr George Soros pumping millions into it.

Now onto the OP - the BBC has a royal charter of impartiality and they are publicly funded, using that platform to push leftist and far leftist views onto the general public is an abhorrent abuse of their mandate.

"6 Music brings together the cutting edge music of today, the iconic and groundbreaking music of the past 40 years"

There is no mention of political commentary, no mention of current affairs its purely an entertainment broadcast. You should not be subjected to political commentary, left or right on such a channel. By doing so the BBC, as it does so frequently shows a complete disregard for its royal charter and for the British public who are essentially forced to pay for it.

Left or Right is purely arbitrary kidda - it isn't a definite category that has clearly defined lines drawn - what you may see as "left of centre", I may indeed see it as "right of centre" therefore there can no argument between us, because the terms you use are not set in stone - like I said, I listen to 6 music everyday and I don't hear any particular political commentary at all. You make out that British Broadcasting is like North Korean State Media, get a fucking grip man.
Back to the OP - he mentioned "gay" - not sure what his point was, but if he is talking about  6Music promoting gay rights, then that is not left or right, it's just fucking normal behaviour to treat people equally regardless of sexual orientation [FACT]
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:26 AM »

Left or Right is purely arbitrary kidda - it isn't a definite category that has clearly defined lines drawn - what you may see as "left of centre", I may indeed see it as "right of centre" therefore there can no argument between us, because the terms you use are not set in stone

I'm sorry but you are just wrong here.
In universities we study political science, not political arts (BSc not BSa). Political ideology is not subjective.
Ironically you might believe that gender studies is a science when in fact its an art. 

- like I said, I listen to 6 music everyday and I don't hear any particular political commentary at all. You make out that British Broadcasting is like North Korean State Media, get a fucking grip man.
Back to the OP - he mentioned "gay" - not sure what his point was, but if he is talking about  6Music promoting gay rights, then that is not left or right, it's just fucking normal behaviour to treat people equally regardless of sexual orientation [FACT]

You may be correct in that there is little to no political content on Radio 6, I don't listen to is so I can't really give an opinion on that other than to say I was taking what the OP said as truthful.
Jimmy Cooper

The ace face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 11:15:51 AM »

Left or Right is purely arbitrary kidda - it isn't a definite category that has clearly defined lines drawn - what you may see as "left of centre", I may indeed see it as "right of centre" therefore there can no argument between us, because the terms you use are not set in stone - like I said, I listen to 6 music everyday and I don't hear any particular political commentary at all. You make out that British Broadcasting is like North Korean State Media, get a fucking grip man.
Promoting one sexual group other another is not treating people the same.Gay people have the same right to exist and be part of society as straights, no need to push an agenda we have laws.
Those gender fluid non binary  trendy twats want fucking off, and all this self identifying is a load of shite.  That means a man can walk into women's changing rooms or toilets.Pervy cunts. klins

"you can take the mail and the franking machine and all that other rubbish I have to go about with and you can stuff them right up your arse!Ē "
Bernie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »

all media outlets are ideological, look at the Daily Mail, Fox News, The Sun and so on an so

Yes but they are things people choose to buy - the BBC is our national broadcaster and we all pay for it, yet it actively promotes a strand of politics that is not subscribed to by the majority.

Join The Campaign To Get LITTLEJOHN a Knighthood.
El Capitan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »

Gay people have the same right to exist and be part of society as straights, no need to push an agenda we have laws.

We have laws and rights for lots of things, doesnít mean they arenít broken or ignored

Rob Nichols ruined my life.
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »

Left or Right is purely arbitrary kidda - it isn't a definite category that has clearly defined lines drawn - what you may see as "left of centre", I may indeed see it as "right of centre" therefore there can no argument between us, because the terms you use are not set in stone

I'm sorry but you are just wrong here.
In universities we study political science, not political arts (BSc not BSa). Political ideology is not subjective.
Ironically you might believe that gender studies is a science when in fact its an art. 

- like I said, I listen to 6 music everyday and I don't hear any particular political commentary at all. You make out that British Broadcasting is like North Korean State Media, get a fucking grip man.

You may be correct in that there is little to no political content on Radio 6, I don't listen to is so I can't really give an opinion on that other than to say I was taking what the OP said as truthful.

Mate I am not wrong, I just have a different opinion to you - however to state that left or right is somehow defined according to empirical laws is blatantly incorrect - for example a Blairite government was right of centre in my opinion, however because it was labelled a Labour govt it was seen as Leftist by some (and not by others) - ergo the lines drawn, which define left or right, are constantly shifting, therefore are implicitly arbitrary and contingent according to political/cultural/temporal/social context
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »

Mate I am not wrong, I just have a different opinion to you - however to state that left or right is somehow defined according to empirical laws is blatantly incorrect - for example a Blairite government was right of centre in my opinion, however because it was labelled a Labour govt it was seen as Leftist by some (and not by others) - ergo the lines drawn, which define left or right, are constantly shifting, therefore are implicitly arbitrary and contingent according to political/cultural/temporal/social context

The very reason politics is a BSc and not a BA is because it can be measured empirically. Both left and right are measured and tested continually according to empirical laws, your subjective opinion on that is irrelevant.
Study of subjective matters is a concern of the arts, study of objective matters is the concern of the sciences.
El Capitan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:43:31 PM »

That explains why accountancy is a BA  monkey

TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:52:28 PM »

Anybody arguing that any part of the BBC is anything other than left wing is a fucking idiot.

Happy to help.

jc

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »

The very reason politics is a BSc and not a BA is because it can be measured empirically. Both left and right are measured and tested continually according to empirical laws, your subjective opinion on that is irrelevant.
Study of subjective matters is a concern of the arts, study of objective matters is the concern of the sciences.

Totally disagree lad - Politics is philosophical not empiricist -therefore nothing can be proven in politics, you are merely adopting a Positivist approach which has long been rejected among academics who study social science. All frameworks that study social and political structures are implicitly interpretive and Positivists fail to acknowledge that interpretive frameworks change over time, therefore "political science" cannot be seen as a natural science because historical context shapes perception, therefore politics cannot be studied objectively, only hypotheses can be offered and evidence will be provided to support or reject those hypotheses
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »

Totally disagree lad - Politics is philosophical not empiricist -therefore nothing can be proven in politics, you are merely adopting a Positivist approach which has long been rejected among academics who study social science. All frameworks that study social and political structures are implicitly interpretive and Positivists fail to acknowledge that interpretive frameworks change over time, therefore "political science" cannot be seen as a natural science because historical context shapes perception, therefore politics cannot be studied objectively, only hypotheses can be offered and evidence will be provided to support or reject those hypotheses

Philosophy is a BA. Political science is a BSc.

You're not getting this are you? Ok let's agree to disagree.
Snoozy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »

I listen to it in the car but been a bit of a downturn recently. That Marriane Hobbs plays some right experimental dance shit in the mid morning slot.
They love Professor Byyyiiiiiaaan Cox  :wanker:
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »

Philosophy is a BA. Political science is a BSc.

You're not getting this are you? Ok let's agree to disagree.

I totally get it mate, I think you are missing my point - Politics is philosophical by its very nature, therefore it is interpretive - you have said nothing that backs up your statement that politics can be defined in empirical terms - like any good social scientist I offered an explanation as to why I thought you were simply adopting a flawed Positivist approach, you however have merely said 'you don't get it' - prove to me that politics is a science....I don't think you can, but I will wait until you offer some "objective evidence" before I say you don't get it
El Capitan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »

mick

DowningAlbion

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »

It's because most decent people who like eclectic music, are left leaning. Tories mostly like Capital FM I think :alf:

6-Music was originally inspired by John Peel and his "play anything as long as it's good" philosophy, and since then it has aligned itself with the eclectic nature of the acts that perform at Glastonbury. John Peel wasn't overtly political, he just told it how it was. Before indie and alternative music became so big, the majority of such acts were staunchly working class and left-leaning. When you get a musical act that comes out as a Tory, it is news because that is not the case usually e.g. James Blunt, Frank Turner, errrrmmm...

Remember when David Cameron tried to come out as a Smiths fan and was told by both Marr and Morrissey independently, that he wasn't wanted?

"The funniest/thickest poster on there is a Tommy Robinson fan boy called T_Bone, some of the stuff he puts on there is so dumb you'd think it was satire but I highly doubt he knows what that is"
El Capitan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 02:24:52 PM »

Cameron said one of his favourite songs was Eton Rifles  souey souey

Cameron's praise for the song earned a scathing rejection from Paul Weller, who said, "Which part of it didn't he get? It wasn't intended as a fucking jolly drinking song for the cadet corps."  :alf:

Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »

Great PM, what ever happened to his political career 
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 02:38:11 PM »

It's because most decent people who like eclectic music, are left leaning. Tories mostly like Capital FM I think :alf:

6-Music was originally inspired by John Peel and his "play anything as long as it's good" philosophy, and since then it has aligned itself with the eclectic nature of the acts that perform at Glastonbury. John Peel wasn't overtly political, he just told it how it was. Before indie and alternative music became so big, the majority of such acts were staunchly working class and left-leaning. When you get a musical act that comes out as a Tory, it is news because that is not the case usually e.g. James Blunt, Frank Turner, errrrmmm...

Remember when David Cameron tried to come out as a Smiths fan and was told by both Marr and Morrissey independently, that he wasn't wanted?

John Peel was great*

:pope2:

*except the marrying a 15 year old thing

klins

Official COB Prediction League Winner 2017/18
Official COB Prediction League Winner 2018/19
Official CLEM vs THUNDER Winner 2016/17/18/19
DowningAlbion

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 02:38:40 PM »

Saying that though, I don't believe for one second that 6-Music has an actual political policy, it's just the case that many of the presenters are left-of-centre because they've been part of  the independent music scene since they were teenagers in the 80's & 90's and that scene has always been anti-establishment

And if you can't laugh at the current shambles of a government, what can you laugh at?

"The funniest/thickest poster on there is a Tommy Robinson fan boy called T_Bone, some of the stuff he puts on there is so dumb you'd think it was satire but I highly doubt he knows what that is"
Jimmy Cooper

The ace face.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 02:49:03 PM »

Saying that though, I don't believe for one second that 6-Music has an actual political policy, it's just the case that many of the presenters are left-of-centre because they've been part of  the independent music scene since they were teenagers in the 80's & 90's and that scene has always been anti-establishment

And if you can't laugh at the current shambles of a government, what can you laugh at?
The fucking shower of shite that is the shadow cabinet . :nige:
And that daft lib dem bewer..  :ukfist:

"you can take the mail and the franking machine and all that other rubbish I have to go about with and you can stuff them right up your arse!Ē "
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »

I totally get it mate

No, you don't.

I think you are missing my point

No, i'm not.

Politics is philosophical by its very nature, therefore it is interpretive

That's your opinion and not based on any objective reality.

- you have said nothing that backs up your statement that politics can be defined in empirical terms - like any good social scientist I offered an explanation as to why I thought you were simply adopting a flawed Positivist approach, you however have merely said 'you don't get it' - prove to me that politics is a science....I don't think you can, but I will wait until you offer some "objective evidence" before I say you don't get it

Don't tell me, tell every major university and institute of leaning in the world.

Tell them that you have decided that politics is entirely subjective and therefore continual study of the 'science' is irrelevant.

Good luck with that.
Bud Wiser

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »

I have to confess to giving 6Music a try, once. Although I didn't have it on long enough to say whether it was overtly political or not considering its playlist amounted to pretentious 90s & 00s garbage.

MF(c) DOOM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »

I listen to 6 music every day and rarely hear politics other than sean keavney regularly calls Donald trump a ballon. Morrisey still gets airplay on 6 music.
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »

My point was about trendifying gayness. Stop trying to score points. It is predictable
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »

all media outlets are ideological, look at the Daily Mail, Fox News, The Sun and so on an so on.....embracing things like equal rights regardless of sexuality and championing low environmental impact diets may well be seen as progressive  :ponce:

I listen to 6 Music everyday....can't say I have heard much chat about veganism to be fair.....there's always Smooth FM fella 

They were talking about the best selling food at festivals  yesterday, it was a vegan dish surprise surprise and it was 100% embraced. Just all a bit PC and cliched. I just have to put ear defenders in between the music
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »

Aye, itís such a hard life.
Jimmy Cooper

The ace face.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »

always put in on for Radcliffe and maconi and mark riley (lard) on a night,  they've changed the schedule ,chris Hawkins is good for old peel sessions but can't get away with shaun kevanghy (sic).

Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »

Aye, itís such a hard life.

Decent thread this ... better than the Rifle shite surely ...
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »

They were talking about the best selling food at festivals  yesterday, it was a vegan dish surprise surprise and it was 100% embraced. Just all a bit PC and cliched. I just have to put ear defenders in between the music

Plant based diets should be wholly embraced....help save the planet and limit the suffering of those lovely animals  :alastair:
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »

Aye, and encourage anaemia
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »

I eat no meat and I aint anemic....plenty of Iron rich foods out there that are not flesh
El Capitan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »

I eat no meat and I aint anemic....plenty of Iron rich foods out there that are not flesh

spunk?

Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 07:24:35 PM »

spunk?

According to legend on here Matthew, that would appear to be a staple diet of yours....just saying  :ponce:
El Capitan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 07:26:12 PM »

Boro bus station toilets. Iíll be there tonight  :alastair:

Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 07:28:10 PM »

:jowo4:
Bobupanddown

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »

Is the Princess Alice still open across the road? Used to have decent bands on in there.
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »

SO IT WAS TRUE ALL ALONG

Official COB Prediction League Winner 2017/18
Official COB Prediction League Winner 2018/19
Official CLEM vs THUNDER Winner 2016/17/18/19
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length