Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:34:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: TPs Red Army...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: City boy or beach bum?  (Read 372 times)
thebannedone
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »

Eight days left of my little two month jaunt. Do I spend it in Bangkok or head to the coast? I've always hated big cities but Bangkok is not too bad. Loads of things to see and some great restaurants. However, a bit of R&R lazing on the beach for a week is tempting.

Got my 5 month old son with me so getting caned in Pattaya is not one of the options!

:alf: jc :duh:

Who is a bustling city type of bloke and who is more of a beach bum?

With a username like BustinSurfboards I should really be heading to the coast to soak up the rays and catch some waves  mcl but the draw of Bangkok is strong!

LEON TROTSKY

I got an ice pick.....that made my ears burn.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »

YOU CERTAINLY WOULD BUST A SURFBOARD IF YOU GOT ON ONE NOW  charles

GET TO KO LAK FOR A FEW DAYS YA BIG IDLE FUCKER  monkey
thebannedone
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »

Too far away pal, its either Koh Samet or Bangkok. Long journey home to UK soon so can't be fucked travelling about too much, just want a week of chilling out either on the beach or by a nice pool.

Can't decide if its worth the extra 3 hours travel to get to Koh Samet.

Heard we are in for a heatwave next week for when I am home. Beer garden weather!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »

I love Bangkok bit not a place for babies unless you hire a maid. Depends where you are now. Hua hin or Jomtien
towz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »

Fly to Samui or Phuket
LEON TROTSKY

I got an ice pick.....that made my ears burn.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »

Too far away pal, its either Koh Samet or Bangkok. Long journey home to UK soon so can't be fucked travelling about too much, just want a week of chilling out either on the beach or by a nice pool.

Heard we are in for a heatwave next week for when I am home. Beer garden weather!

THATS THIS WEEK  mcl

BE PISSING DOWN WHEN YOUR HOME  monkey
thebannedone
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »

I love Bangkok bit not a place for babies unless you hire a maid. Depends where you are now. Hua hin or Jomtien

Bangkok is fine with babies. Spent loads of time there with my daughter who is now 3 and had 2 weeks there with my son last month. Its all about booking the right hotel. I am at home at the moment up near Khon Kaen. Flying down to Bangkok with family then I think I'll probably hire a car and go to Koh Samet. Hua Hin is a shithole with crap beaches. Jomtien is nice towards the far end. Spent my first week there when i landed in Thailand on this occasion.
thebannedone
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »

Fly to Samui or Phuket

Already booked to Bangkok from Khon Kaen. Can't be fucked flying again and then having to fly back before a long journey to UK. Never liked Phuket either to be fair and Samui is full of backpacking wankers unless you stay in a resort well away from the nobheads. Krabi is my favourite place down that way. Koh Tao is lovely aswell.
thebannedone
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »

THATS THIS WEEK  mcl

BE PISSING DOWN WHEN YOUR HOME  monkey

Fuckin hell mate yeah its this week. It might get up to 20 degrees on Wednesday  :alf: I have my fuckin aircon on in the home set at 23!

jc

12 degrees on the day I land! Fuckin freezing!

klins
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:59:03 AM by BustinSurfboards » Logged
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »

Bangkok is fine with babies. Spent loads of time there with my daughter who is now 3 and had 2 weeks there with my son last month. Its all about booking the right hotel. I am at home at the moment up near Khon Kaen. Flying down to Bangkok with family then I think I'll probably hire a car and go to Koh Samet. Hua Hin is a shithole with crap beaches. Jomtien is nice towards the far end. Spent my first week there when i landed in Thailand on this occasion.

Never been to Hua Hin though my Mrs went there while I was working in the area. She liked it. Bangkok is smoggy as fuck but I love the place.
thebannedone
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:46 AM »

Never been to Hua Hin though my Mrs went there while I was working in the area. She liked it. Bangkok is smoggy as fuck but I love the place.

Its a bit of a shit tip for old foreigner retiree's to be honest. The beaches are garbage, very few decent hotels and not much to do in general. Oh and the nightlife is awful. I didnt enjoy it.

Yes Bangkok can get smoggy during the daytime but again, picking a decent hotel close to restaurants, shopping centres and the BTS stations solves that problem. I hate taking the car there, takes you an hour to travel 10kms. Absolute joke. I am amazed so many people continue to drive there when the BTS is so quick.
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »

So which are your favourite hotels in Bangkok?

I like Asoke (great Sheraton, Westin, Landmark). My favourite is JW Marriott near Nana
thebannedone
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »

So which are your favourite hotels in Bangkok?

I like Asoke (great Sheraton, Westin, Landmark). My favourite is JW Marriott near Nana

I've only stayed in the Landmark out of those 4 you mentioned.

When with the family I almost always stay at the Grand Centre Point at Terminal 21. Ideal location, massive shopping centre and entertainment complex on the doorstep, BTS about a minutes walk away and they have great facilities for the kids.

If I have to go to sort a visa or passport out then I stay at the Ambassador Hotel on soi 11 which backs onto the visa centre.

They are the two I use most often although I did try a place called Beat Hotel on this visit for 2 nights after a recommendation from a pal of mine who owns an Irish bar just round the corner from it. Its in the W District and next door to a big open air square which has all bars and food stalls around the sides with seating and tables in the middle. Booked it solely because of its location next to this square. It was really good and only 50 a night for a good sized room. Proper trippy decor inside it which made it quite a unique experience. Definitely worth a visit if you are in Bangkok again but maybe not for a stay of more than a couple of days.

This is the bedroom of the room we stayed in  :alf: :alf: :alf:

Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »

They're all fairly high end and only used on business trips. I took my family to the Landmark hotel as it offers good value for a family. As you say these places are close to the bts and skytrain which makes it great for transport. Plus there's no shortage of nearby entertainment and quality restaurants. I have spunked a lot of spare time in Gullivers on a Weekend over the years watching live football, eating their decent grub, drinking and shooting pool. 
thebannedone
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »

Gullivers is a great place for the football if staying around that area. When I stay at the Ambassador there is a place behind that on Soi 13 called the Sportsman which is also excellent and very similar to Gullivers but it doesnt get as busy.

There are some cracking hotels in Bangkok but I don't see the point in shelling out over a ton a night when you can get somewhere like the Grand Centre Point for 80. That has all I need to be fair so no point in me paying extra for somewhere that may not be as suitable for my needs.

As an example, I meet up with a pal of mine in Bangkok from time to time and he swears by Le Meridian. Wont stay anywhere else. Its about 250 a night and its not even in the mixer. Don't get me wrong its a nice hotel but it wouldn't suit me for what I need.
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »

JW Marriot at Nana is my favourite in the world but I wouldn't pay using my own credit card. Just love the atmosphere, colours, rooms, staff, breakfast, exec lounge etc. Just top notch. Then from pure luxury you have all that entertainment choices.
I used to use Mayfair - Marriott Executive Apartments in Lumphini which was quite cheap and good for longer stays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length