Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: TPs Red Army...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thomas Hearns  (Read 1049 times)
Bob End and his Sexy Bitch

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »

Just brilliant.

That is all
Ulyanov

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »

interesting, Bob
pussy galore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:38 AM »

Marvellous Marvin sorted him out.

Get ya twat out bitch
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:01:47 AM »

Just brilliant.

That is all

Hagler fucked him right up....the hitman was never that brilliant 
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »

A world champion at 5 different weights in one of boxings greatest era's and he was never brilliant. Fucking hell  monkey
LEON TROTSKY

I got an ice pick.....that made my ears burn.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:12:41 AM »

ONLY HAGLER WAS BETTER  :like:

BUT THEN HE LOST TO SUGAR RAY WHO HIT AND RUN  souey

IN A TOE TO TOE WAR HAGLER WOULD HAVE WON THAT ONE...AFTER THAT DECISION HE LOST ALL INTEREST IN BOXING
  :like:

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »

There were some reasonable boxers around at that time  jc
coulbyboro.

The future is unwritten.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »

A world champion at 5 different weights in one of boxings greatest era's and he was never brilliant. Fucking hell  monkey
he'd be fuck all in the green tree. souey
RedSteel

UTB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »

I met TH when he was in the Boro and had my photo taken with him.

Hands like shovels and knuckles you could ride a BMX up n down 

He said his defeat to Hagler was because he was full of flu. He said he was pushed into it because he only got the symptoms two days before, and was too late to cancel. So, the plan was to bomb Hagler out early, as he knew he didn't have 15rds in him. It didn't work and said he was completely fucked in the 3rd and went down with severe exhaustion.

For the next 12 months he tried to get Hagler back in the ring for a rematch and claims Hagler didn't want to know. He said he would have beat Hagler in the rematch and that Hagler knew it. We will never know but he seemed genuine with his story on the matter.

The man has to be in the top 10 all time list for me.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »

Just watch him demolish Duran and imagined him attacking me outside a boozer. Direct to the funeral parlour, mate - forget A&E. Hands like lightening
RedSteel

UTB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »

He wouldn't last 10 seconds in The Green Tree for a COB straightener 

Ulyanov

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »

Just watch him demolish Duran and imagined him attacking me outside a boozer. Direct to the funeral parlour, mate - forget A&E. Hands like lightening

To be fair Bob, if Thomas Hearns' granny attacked you outside a pub, the result would be the same charles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »

To be fair Bob, if Thomas Hearns' granny attacked you outside a pub, the result would be the same charles

I've had her
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »

I was referring to this fight not his entire career.
Lovely boxer to watch, but Hagler hunted him down here and made him looking ordinary.
coulbyboro.

The future is unwritten.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 09:41:48 AM »

Lovely boxer to watch, but Hagler hunted him down here and made him looking ordinary.
HE HAD THE FUCKING FLU.!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »

Hagler was a puff
RedSteel

UTB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

No he never. You haven't even see the fight have you   . Probably the most brutal 3rds of boxing you will ever see. I'm not saying Hearns would have beat Hagler in a rematch but it explains why he went for it so early on. Hearns, Hagler and Leonard were not ordinary fighters.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »

Look ordinary monkey. It was probably the greatest opening rounds of all time. I could never understand why he dropped his hands against hagler, maybe he did have the flu. He ran out of gas quick.

For me Leonard just shaded it out of the top 4 of him, Duran, hauler and hearns.

Hagler was an animal and fantastic hard fighter. His only struggles were against technically gifted boxers  somehow he managed to drag them into a war which he usually won.

Duran was similar but without the physical presence. Leonard and hearns were a joy to watch. They could box and mix it with the best of them.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »

Hagler was the undisputed king of the middleweights back then, a total machine of a fighter. He was the best a long time before he became champion because nobody wanted to fight him.
The reason a second fight between him and Hearns didn't happen was because both took about a year away from the ring afterwards, Hagler coming back for a defence against John "The Beast" Mugabi which was a hell of a fight (Hagler winning in the 11th round). Both him and Mugabi were hospitalised afterwards and Hagler was pissing blood after taking huge hits to the body.
It was his last win. He fought once more against Sugar Ray who had picked his time to face Hagler well and danced, hit and ran and held on, and beat the champ who was at 80% at best. After the fight he knew
Hagler in his prime beats them all for me - Hearns, Duran Sugar Ray Leonard, Mugabi, Sugar Ray Robinson et al.

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

I think Hagler first came to the UK public in a big way when he ate Alan Minter (was it?) for breakfast
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »

The UK public didn't like the fact that it was stopped against Minter (despite the fact that he was cut to ribbons and getting battered) so they rioted!

RedSteel

UTB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »

Minta got battered because he said no nigger was gonna take his belt.

Terry, do you think Hearns was telling us porky pies with his version of events before during and after the fight with Hagler. Hearns v Hagler rematch would have certainly been more lucrative than the JM fight, which i do remember. Hearns said that he even went round to Haglers gaff to sort a fight out but he wouldn't speak to him. It could be bullshit on Hearns part but it didn't come across that way.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »

Antafuermo drew with hagler then lost to Minter. Minter was a fool he got involved in a race row, lost his head and got involved in a brawl. Cut to ribbons and well beaten. He was a great technical fighter who would have been better off boxing.

Leonard came out of retirement after operations for damaged retina  hence the gloves without thumbs. He was well past his best as well. He still won.
lionhunter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »

Antafuermo drew with hagler then lost to Minter. Minter was a fool he got involved in a race row, lost his head and got involved in a brawl. Cut to ribbons and well beaten. He was a great technical fighter who would have been better off boxing.

Leonard came out of retirement after operations for damaged retina  hence the gloves without thumbs. He was well past his best as well. He still won.

Alan Minter is a fucking arsehole out of the ring .A total fucking gobshite .
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »

Minta got battered because he said no nigger was gonna take his belt.

Terry, do you think Hearns was telling us porky pies with his version of events before during and after the fight with Hagler. Hearns v Hagler rematch would have certainly been more lucrative than the JM fight, which i do remember. Hearns said that he even went round to Haglers gaff to sort a fight out but he wouldn't speak to him. It could be bullshit on Hearns part but it didn't come across that way.

I've no reason to doubt that Hearns tried to get a rematch, he was certainly a much physically bigger fighter in his fight with Shuler after his 11 months off.
By that stage I think Hagler had decided to call it a day.
Who'd have won? Who knows? You could make a case for both given the relative ages.
Hearns had a lot more fights but got beaten twice by Iran Barkley who was about as close to a Hagler type as you could get.
Hearns was a brilliant fighter who wasn't really a natural middleweight but was ferocious and always great value.

coulbyboro.

The future is unwritten.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »

Hagler was a great toe to toe fighter,best way to fight him was box,get in,get out,As stated,Minter tried to match him and paid the price.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »

Read George kimballs 4 kings. Excellent book. Tells the stories of them. Hearns, Duran, Hagler and Leonard.

For Leonard and hearns to win titles from welterweight to light heavyweight is unbelievable. The saddest decline was Duran, however he was a complete fucking nut job and boxing probably saved him from a very early grave.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 03:41:10 PM »

Hagler was technically brilliant as well has being able to scrap, Minter tried to box him and was cut to pieces. If he had tried to turn it into a tear up it would have ended in round one.

Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »

Minter didn't try to box him. He lost the plot completely.

I was in the states during the build up to the no mas fight. Leonard made it known he had fought Duran by trying to match him toe to toe and thought he should have won. He said he would take a different approach in the rematch and humiliated him. Unbelievable fucking footwork and hand speed that lad. Brave as a lion as well
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »

Minter fought Hagler in the same way he fought every other fight; upright behind a right hand jab the only difference was that he tried to beat Hagler to the punch but he couldn't hurt him and Hagler picked him apart with his own right jab and left crosses. He didn't lose the plot he just didn't have a viable option whatever he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfcxEHcP-Zw 

Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »

Minter lost the plot in the build up way before the first bell.
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »

I like a Frank Bruno.

He was really funny with Harry.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 04:04:00 PM »

Minter lost the plot in the build up way before the first bell.

In what way?  The "no black man" comment?

coulbyboro.

The future is unwritten.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »

Hagler was technically brilliant as well has being able to scrap, Minter tried to box him and was cut to pieces. If he had tried to turn it into a tear up it would have ended in round one.
just watched I againt,minter stood in front of him and tried to trade, not a good idea with Haglers slashing punches when you cut easily.Gave it a good go,but I think even without the cut Minter would have been beaten, possibly by knock out.
(I could have sworn that fight happened on a Sunday night, apparently not. )
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »

Hagler's M.O. was to always be on the front foot. Every Hagler fight up to that point had been the same; the opponent backing off behind a jab and trying not to be pummelled and ending up fairly quickly pummelled.
Minter was aware that Hagler was more powerful, technically good and had knockout potential in either hand so he had to try to do something different, to unsettle him and the only option (he couldn't just have a tear up, he'd have been killed) was to try to stop Hagler from chasing him down.
This wasn't a good idea or a bad idea, it was just his only chance. He simply wasn't good enough.
If he had tried to fight at a distance the result would have been the same.

TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »

Duran kept fighting until he was about fifty - the crazy fucker!

Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 05:48:02 PM »

Terry, Hagler refused to shake hands with Minter when he went to the States, Chris Finnigen let it be known Hagler wouldn't touch a white mans flesh, they got in ridiculous arguments, Hagler had to be clean shaven, Haglers corner wanted to know what solution the cut man was using because Minters career had been blighted by cuts, he did well to have any kind of career. Then Minter went to a fucking national front rally for some reason claiming no black man would beat him. Not very advisable for a professional fighter.

Minters game plan went out of the window after about 30 seconds when he was cut, by the end of the first he had two cuts, he then tried to go toe to toe with an accomplished brawler who had a slashy punching action. He got well beat because of it. I'm not saying he would have won I am saying after a minute any idea of winning on points behind a jab went out of the window. He did not try to box his way to victory.
Jethro Tull
We need to win football matches

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »

I would have thought Hearns breaking his hand in the 1st round v Hagler would have hindered him more than having flu.
Hearns was robbed in his fight with Leonard with the result given as a draw after Hearns had floored him twice' Leonard said himself he was "gifted" a draw.Leonard was the darling of American boxing & in my opinion lost to Hagler as well despite the verdict.

All about fine margins.We are what we are.It is what it is.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »

Leonard was very lucky second fight, however he knocked Tommy out in the first. I think Leonard beat hagler. His corner were telling him he was behind and had to knock him out.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 06:44:05 PM »

Oh and welcome back jethro. The light nights brought you back.  :homer:
Jethro Tull
We need to win football matches

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »

Oh and welcome back jethro. The light nights brought you back.  :homer:
Aye' busy time of year out here mate what with crops to plant & lambing season upon us already.16 hours a day out in t' fields teks it's toll on you.

All about fine margins.We are what we are.It is what it is.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »

And it's too light to throw sticks at the moon. Fucking light nights charles
Duran

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »

He turned pro in 1968 ,and retired in 2001 !! Best lightweight of all time for me ,and he could have done so much more if he had been totally dedicated ,and dont forget he went straight from lightweight to welter ,he could have easily won a title at light welter
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2018, 03:14:44 AM »

He turned pro in 1968 ,and retired in 2001 !! Best lightweight of all time for me ,and he could have done so much more if he had been totally dedicated ,and dont forget he went straight from lightweight to welter ,he could have easily won a title at light welter

Why are you named after a shitty 1980s new romantic band?

:pd:

Seems a bit odd.
Duran

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2018, 06:19:22 AM »

Taking of odd names :alf:
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:31 PM »

I was going to punt for Henry Armstrong but then checked his record, even though he held the lightweight belt he dominated at higher weights. He was up there with the best pound for pound fighters of all time. If you can find any, watch some footage of him. Incredible. I think they nicknamed him the windmill.
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2018, 12:04:33 AM »

Sorry. Homicide hank was his nickname.
Duran

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 12:28:59 AM »

I was going to punt for Henry Armstrong but then checked his record, even though he held the lightweight belt he dominated at higher weights. He was up there with the best pound for pound fighters of all time. If you can find any, watch some footage of him. Incredible. I think they nicknamed him the windmill.Agreed cracking fighter ,but as you said the higher weights were his domain,18 defences at welter weight ,in 2 years !!!!!!!
I had a dvd  showing all of Durans early fights including all lightweight defences ,and that man was an animal in the ring ,but more importantly he had very underrated defensive skills ,the slight head movement etc that you just cannot teach ,plus the raw aggression that  only somebody who knew nothing but fighting from the age of 8 could have, he would have folded mayweather in half at any weight from lightweight to welter
Robbso

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 12:32:21 AM »

Un quote that :homer:
Duran

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »

Agreed cracking fighter ,but as you said the higher weights were his domain,18 defences at welter weight ,in 2 years !!!!!!!
I had a dvd  showing all of Durans early fights including all lightweight defences ,and that man was an animal in the ring ,but more importantly he had very underrated defensive skills ,the slight head movement etc that you just cannot teach ,plus the raw aggression that  only somebody who knew nothing but fighting from the age of 8 could have, he would have folded mayweather in half at any weight from lightweight to welter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length