Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 04:05:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: TPs Red Army...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: £50k for a degree  (Read 1382 times)
daftjim

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »

That's the average debt for Uni leavers unless they get support elsewhere.
Worth it?
Is it fuck.
Micksgrill

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »

why would you want go to uni other than to land yourself with a load of debt.  The new apprentice courses which colleges are cottoning onto is the way forward.  employee gets paid , gets on the job experience and comes out with a professional qualification.   employer pays 10% co investment fee and / or levy and the govt foots the bill.   the krauts have been getting it right for years and this is definitely the way forward.  Plus you don't have to put up with a load of leftys at work :mido:
Minge

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »

I went to collage purely to buck girls, nothing else .
Only gay cunts do collage or uni to study  :wanker: and fucking nerdy gay  :wanker: at that
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:07 PM »

Worth it?
Is it fuck.

I teach in higher education and like it or not, having a degree does matter.
Your 'is it fuck worth it' comment is not based on any evidence. Just saying like
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11744118/Graduates-earn-500000-more-than-non-graduates.html
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »

But that doesn't mean that I am saying the current system is right, just try and base your outspoken comments on some evidence Jim...it makes for a better debate that way 
Ulyanov

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:27:13 PM »

Of course it's worth it; it keeps Gramsci's gravy train rolling right along :like:
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:29:35 PM »

Of course it's worth it; it keeps Gramsci's gravy train rolling right along :like:

Your problem Len, is you want to reduce everything to something about the individual, which, in essence, shows that you are unable to grasp the bigger picture in life. Be better. Sad prick  :nige:
evilghost

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »

Degree opens doors nothing more

Some jobs you canít even apply without one
Ulyanov

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:49 PM »

Your problem Len, is you want to reduce everything to something about the individual, which, in essence, shows that you are unable to grasp the bigger picture in life. Be better. Sad prick  :nige:
'
Your problem Gram, is that you're not half as clever as you like to make out. For instance, quoting something like that stat our of the Telegragh and claiming it proves your point, without taking into account any of the many, many variables. You're definitely more in the Cathy Newman than the Jordan Petersen mould.
Oh, and I'm the bigger man, so I shall refrain from the gratuitous abuse. You mong. jc
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »

The loan repayment terms are the best they'll ever see. Cheap finance.
It's not the loans that are the problem with university education now it's the shit courses for thick students who shouldn't be there.

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
Ulyanov

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 11:44:12 PM »

It's not the loans that are the problem with university education now it's the shit courses for thick students who shouldn't be there.
Education is big business now. To keep that business growing you need to keep expanding the customer base. To do that, obviously, you need to make it accessible to more people, which means dumbing it down. Some people do very well out of it, the country, as a whole, doesn't.
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:31:25 AM »

Some people spent far more on their education.

Grinch
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »

The only issue I have with it, is the stupid amounts you can pay back in one month.  Should be capped at £500 a month, probably even lower. Building a career is a lot harder now and a lot more competitive than it was 30 years ago, that is a fact. Without a degree most people are going nowhere.

Paying back £1000 a month on a loan is outrageous.
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:45:39 AM »

You mong.

charles
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 01:03:00 AM »

Some people spent far more on their education.

I spent more than that on beer, fags and recreational drugs in the three years I was there!

When I left university in the late 80's I was in debt to Barclays Bank to the tune of £30k and I had to start paying that back as soon as I had any sort of income.

towz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:50 AM »

Only gay cunts do collage or uni to study  :wanker: and fucking nerdy gay  :wanker: at that

It must have been one of those new fangled interractive colllages
daftjim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:58 AM »

Worth it?
Is it fuck.

Your 'is it fuck worth it' comment is not based on any evidence. Just saying like
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11744118/Graduates-earn-500000-more-than-non-graduates.html

Based on that article the average graduate earns more. Which of course means that less than half might not. Of those positions analysed how many were in London..........?
And the figures project those jobs from application right through to the end of a career. Utter bollox.
The study also fails to take into account the projected cost of paying back the loan AND those that don't get work. Again, bollox.

So the study is flawed. But then you'd know that, having a degree n all.
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 04:38:35 AM »

Yeah!  Right on Mingey.

Collage is for loosers!

Not like us cool hard blerks.  

Fuck off all you wanky studenty types (like Matty who probably went to St Bumder's, Cambridge).

:alastair:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:52:48 AM by CLEM FANDANGO » Logged
Minge

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 06:53:36 AM »

Fucking education benders  :unlike:

Graft Hands dirty buck pussy  :homer:
Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »

Worth it?
Is it fuck.

Based on that article the average graduate earns more. Which of course means that less than half might not. Of those positions analysed how many were in London..........?
And the figures project those jobs from application right through to the end of a career. Utter bollox.
The study also fails to take into account the projected cost of paying back the loan AND those that don't get work. Again, bollox.

So the study is flawed. But then you'd know that, having a degree n all.

To those who go to university and treat it in the way they should - i.e. go to class, work hard, take their studies seriously, take up the work placements/internships/free trips to subject related conferences/festivals/conventions then it is worth it in the end. To the rest who treat it like it is an excuse to do fuck all for three years and not go to class nor invest any effort into their studies, then it is a complete waste of time and money, that ultimately the tax payer will foot the bill because there is little chance of some of them earning 21k plus.

For those that are in between the achievers and the losers, they learn valuable transferable skills that go above and beyond what they are learning about their particular subject - is that worth 50k? Not in my opinion it is not.

But that is what happens to a system that you allow to be thoroughly marketised....Lenin is right about increasing the customer base - Unis are all at it...especially getting students from China and India....they are worth a lot more than UK or EU students.

And those that say it has been dumbed down, you are right - many should not be there....the one positive is that it is more open to kids from backgrounds who wouldn't normally go to uni, but that comes with a far too big price tag.

Going back to your original post above Jim, you cite variables that question the validity of that Telegraph article, well with the same sentiment, there are many variables that can be cited, which would negate your argument that it isn't worth it anything, which is what you seem to suggest.

Would I insist that my kids go to Uni...no....but nor would I want to prevent them either, because there is plenty to gain from it, despite the ridiculous fees.
daftjim

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »

:like:

Both have mine got their degrees and are in jobs they wouldn't have got without them.
But they're lucky they had someone to fund them.
Agree with everything you say there.
A degree has been devalued now drastically to the extent where, IMO, the majority simply aren't worth the £50k.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »

Yeah!  Right on Mingey.

Collage is for loosers!

Not like us cool hard blerks.  

Fuck off all you wanky studenty types (like Matty who probably went to St Bumder's, Cambridge).

Just for clarity -

This is a collage

This is a college

Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »

My daughter was a high achieving student at school and went to study at UCL. She now lives and works in London with a decent paid job and paying off her student loan through slightly increased taxes.

My son is in the middle of a Chem Eng degree at Newcastle Uni. We are stumping up for his accommodation fees. I would expect him get a decent paid job and for him to have a decent career after he's graduated.

The problem with many degrees is that they're not valued and accredited. I would argue a psychology degree at an ex Poly is not worth £50k (better off doing an apprenticeship) whereas a £50k debt after graduating in a STEM subject from a redbrick would be worth it.

The least said about the difference in tuition fees between Scotland and England the better. Pure racism.
ron_manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »

The problem with many degrees is that they're not valued and accredited. I would argue a psychology degree at an ex Poly is not worth £50k (better off doing an apprenticeship) whereas a £50k debt after graduating in a STEM subject from a redbrick would be worth it.

Do you know how much a psychologist earns. I wish I had chosen that career when I was younger. very well paid. Great starting wage and with a few years you would be expected to be earning £40k plus.
Wee_Willie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »

Do you know how much a psychologist earns. I wish I had chosen that career when I was younger. very well paid. Great starting wage and with a few years you would be expected to be earning £40k plus.

There surely can't be a shortage of them. My point was not about Psychology but Micky Mouse degrees at Mickey Mouse Uni's
Dicky2006

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »

At least Middlesbrough doesn't have a problem with a Mickey Mouse Uni  mcl

2016/7 Boro Prediction Winner
2014/5 COB Prem Dream Team Champ
CapsDave

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »

In a lot of cases a degree just shows that you can learn and complete a course at a certain level, even specific degrees like Electrical engineering covers things that you will never need to know or use in your entire career.

Tell you straight how it is now . I am a real nut case you got that right . I am not Liddle who will wait to bump into you after all I do not know who you are do I. I will never find out from this site either. But here's the thing. the police will. And I will put a report in to them.
daftjim

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »

Went to Cambridge with one of my kids and they explained just that.

They have kids studying things like Classics and Archaeology and even Law that have no intention of following that as a career but they still get snapped up by the likes of BP, M&S etc because they've been trained in breaking down huge volumes of information into concise reports.

They've demonstrated an analytical mind and the skills are transferable across just about all sectors.

evilghost

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »

The only issue I have with it, is the stupid amounts you can pay back in one month.  Should be capped at £500 a month, probably even lower. Building a career is a lot harder now and a lot more competitive than it was 30 years ago, that is a fact. Without a degree most people are going nowhere.

Paying back £1000 a month on a loan is outrageous.

Bollocks

You pay 9% of anything you earn over £1250 a month

To be paying back 1k a month is fantasy land and never happens to the general university graduate
Grinch
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »

I can assure you, it does happen.
evilghost

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »

No it doesnít D
Stop being silly
CapsDave

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »

They have kids studying things like Classics and Archaeology and even Law that have no intention of following that as a career but they still get snapped up by the likes of BP, M&S etc because they've been trained in breaking down huge volumes of information into concise reports.

They've demonstrated an analytical mind and the skills are transferable across just about all sectors.

Exactly that.

It's always the thick people who can't grasp it though.

Tell you straight how it is now . I am a real nut case you got that right . I am not Liddle who will wait to bump into you after all I do not know who you are do I. I will never find out from this site either. But here's the thing. the police will. And I will put a report in to them.
Steechve Boalsie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

Rob Nichols ruined my life.
CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »

Just for clarity -

This is a collage

This is a college

:tp2:

Steechve Boalsie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »

Tezza, Tezza, Tezza  lost souey

CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »

And they have learnt how to "give and take".

Oxbridge sausage jockeys like Mad Matty are the wurst.

Steechve Boalsie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »

Leeds Poly for me  :alastair:  :mido:

CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »

Tezza, Tezza, Tezza  lost souey

CLEM FANDANGO

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:22 PM »

Leeds Poly for me  :alastair:  :mido:

We are talking about university degrees here Matty.

Not Certificates of Participation.

Steechve Boalsie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »

Do Holme House do degrees, BF?

Grinch
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »

No it doesnít D
Stop being silly

Of course it does. Use a calculator, it isn't that hard to calculate.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »

I think they'd have to be earning over £150,000 pa to have to make payments of £1000 per month, that's some starting salary for a graduate.

evilghost

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »

I think they'd have to be earning over £150,000 pa to have to make payments of £1000 per month, that's some starting salary for a graduate.

Exactly

Like I said not the average student

Gramsci

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length