Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:12:02 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: We go again...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Players who could have been good?  (Read 698 times)
coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

there's a reason why some players don't progress beyond their initial promise,and it's usually because that's as far as they can go on their talent,some may have had injuries,most reached their peak and that's all they had.

There's something in that of course, but there's limited players playing at the top because they ware good athletes. Jordan Henderson starts for England and is Liverpool skipper and he is bang average. Bet you any money he doesn't spend 4 nights a week in the pub though.
some players named could have lived like monks but would have never been any better than they were,the greats can do what they want and still perform but you are  right to say if players live right they can maintain a standard.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »

there's a reason why some players don't progress beyond their initial promise,and it's usually because that's as far as they can go on their talent,some may have had injuries,most reached their peak and that's all they had.

There's something in that of course, but there's limited players playing at the top because they ware good athletes. Jordan Henderson starts for England and is Liverpool skipper and he is bang average. Bet you any money he doesn't spend 4 nights a week in the pub though.
some players named could have lived like monks but would have never been any better than they were,the greats can do what they want and still perform but you are  right to say if players live right they can maintain a standard.

The Matty Bates I saw at 18 would definitely have made a good professional footballer had he progressed. He was always injured and just got slower and slower. He relied on being in the right place as he wasn't the tallest. People remember the Bates in holding midfield who was out of his depth in the premier league.

Was it just bad luck? I don't know but I do know I saw him in pubs in Hartburn a lot. It seems to be that those who don't take care of themselves are unlucky with injuries.

Cob's second most arrogant man.
coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »

Injuries can happen to the best,(Owen and his hamstrings) wonder how many got injured and convalesced in the pub,that's the difference.
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »

Injuries can happen to the best,(Owen and his hamstrings) wonder how many got injured and convalesced in the pub,that's the difference.

Owen was never as good once he lost his bit of extra pace.

He's fat, hes round, his arse trails on the ground.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »

Owen was unlucky there's always players like that.Especially quick players and Liverpool played him far too much whilst he 17, 18. Many from boro just pissed it up the wall.

Jake Andrews

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »

Mustapha Carayol. Got some unfortunate injuries at unfortunate times & then had a Manager who couldn't stand him.
Jake Andrews

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »

Chris Smalling.

:pd:
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

Jaime Moreno.

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »

should really be called "players who had potential and never realised it.". :aitor:
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »

Jaime Moreno.

Remember how exciting it was to sign a Bolivian back then? . Okay I was only 13 but in general it was a big deal. Football has lost its way.

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »

Amazed none of you old timers mentioned Bell.

Mattyk50

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »

I remember there was an article in the programme explaining how to pronounce his name. “Hi-me”

Rob Nichols ruined my life.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »

How about this for the ultimate player who could have done more and been better? Mido. He looked a world beater when we signed him. He was on fire playing alongside the hard work Tuncay then Southgate dropped him to accommodate Alves and Mido spat his dummy and was never the same again. I'm in no way justifying his behaviour but a stronger manager would have got enough out of Mido to keep us up that season.

Mido

Downing               Tuncay          Johnson

That would have kept us up, instead Johnson was dropped for Aliturd ffs.

Mid was considered superior to Zlatan for a while at Ajax.

Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

How about this for the ultimate player who could have done more and been better? Mido. He looked a world beater when we signed him. He was on fire playing alongside the hard work Tuncay then Southgate dropped him to accommodate Alves and Mido spat his dummy and was never the same again. I'm in no way justifying his behaviour but a stronger manager would have got enough out of Mido to keep us up that season.

Mido

Mido spat his dummy out everywhere he went.

I dont specifically blame Southgate for Mido being a cunt.  charles

coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

Mido

exactly right,half season wonder then loses interest. :wanker:
towz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »

Fat cunt :mido:
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »

Mido

I'm in no way refuting that but as a Manager when your back is against the wall you have to get a tune out of such players, and he was then bizarrely dropped him for no reason when he was playing well. Was it late October? Something like that and he spat his dummy and fucked off. Had Southgate put up with him and played him as he should have we may have got 10 more points and stayed up.

calamity

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »

It was strange because watching Mido in games he seemed like he cared at first; very vocal and putting a shift in.  Then he become a fat, lazy shite very quickly after.   charles
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »

Mido

Downing               Tuncay          Johnson

I dont specifically blame Southgate for Mido being a cunt.  charles

I'm in no way refuting that but as a Manager when your back is against the wall you have to get a tune out of such players, and he was then bizarrely dropped him for no reason when he was playing well. Was it late October? Something like that and he spat his dummy and fucked off. Had Southgate put up with him and played him as he should have we may have got 10 more points and stayed up.

Better managers then SOuthgate failed to get effort out of Mido.

It was a panic signing, £6m and probably 40k pw and we ended up bining him for nothing.

Id say probably our worst signing ever because everyone knew he was a cunt.  

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »

Again that is not the issue. In relation to the thread he could have been a good player just a bad attitude.

In relation to Southgate, he only needed to keep him playing well for a few months and we'd have stayed up. He dropped him when he was playing well. The end was somewhat inevitable. The timing of it and what you extract from a deprecating asset is the difference between a good manager and a bad one.

We should have signed Bent instead of Alves or Mido.

Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

Again that is not the issue. In relation to the thread he could have been a good player just a bad attitude.

In relation to Southgate, he only needed to keep him playing well for a few months and we'd have stayed up. He dropped him when he was playing well. The end was somewhat inevitable. The timing of it and what you extract from a deprecating asset is the difference between a good manager and a bad one.

We should have signed Bent instead of Alves or Mido.

:like: I said that at the time.

He was a proven British striker in Spurs reserves and we could have got him for the cost of Alves.

But Gibbo hadnt got over the Juninho "bums on seats, samba band" effect.  :meltdown:

BigNasty

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »

Jordan Henderson starts for England and is Liverpool skipper and he is bang average. Bet you any money he doesn't spend 4 nights a week in the pub though.

You would lose your money.
Lalana tried to drop him in the shit when they got caught in the brass house.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length