Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:55:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: We go again...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Players who could have been good?  (Read 785 times)
The Better man

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »

Watched some old clips yesterday. I forgot just how good Malcom Christie looked when he first joined. Shame he was so injury prone.

Cob's second most arrogant man.
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »

Slizard Nemath would have scored a lot for the Boro, but in those days we could afford big name players, so his chances were limited.

23 in 117 when most of those 117 games were from the bench.

We surrounded ourselves with Spaniards and Hispanics and it was beautiful as I learned a lot more from defeats than victories
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:20 AM »

Does this include all the near miss transfers, or just players who got a start but never really a full chance?
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »

I was never a big fan but Tomlin could have been a good player, hard to have any sympathy with a fat professional footballer though.

Scored more goals and made more assists in his year here then Downing has in his last two and a half.

We surrounded ourselves with Spaniards and Hispanics and it was beautiful as I learned a lot more from defeats than victories
Bob End and his Sexy Bitch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »

Cattermole, without any doubt whatsoever
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »

Was going to say Cattermole.  With a bit more composure and some shooting he could have been brilliant.

Morrison seems to have had a very good career after moving on, and could have been a fixture in the midfield here for a decade.

Tony McMahon always brought up in these debates, and Bates was good before the problems.

Maccarone was the big one for me, had a brilliant start and then just seemed to drop off, had his moments after too and it never seemed to be attitude that was the problem.  Gone on to a decent career back in Italy.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »

Marco Branca

12 games, 9 goals.

:mido:

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
Jake Andrews

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »

Jordan Rhodes.

calamity

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »

Was going to say Cattermole.  With a bit more composure and some shooting he could have been brilliant.

Morrison seems to have had a very good career after moving on, and could have been a fixture in the midfield here for a decade.

Tony McMahon always brought up in these debates, and Bates was good before the problems.

Maccarone was the big one for me, had a brilliant start and then just seemed to drop off, had his moments after too and it never seemed to be attitude that was the problem.  Gone on to a decent career back in Italy.

Morrison going was just poor management. Aside from him though, it is odd that so many that came through the ranks were crocks, McMahon was a good defender at first, good solid player. Injuries ruined him.

Think it was probably all down to lifestyle.  They came up at the end of the Robson era, so the drinking culture was probably fairly well embedded.  The irish centre back Gavin (?) was apparently very good too, just permanently pissed.  
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »

Vlad Kinder a dashing left back who had a few goals in him.  :like:

Possibly the first goatee seen on a Boro player.

Not so dashing now.

calamity

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »

Gavin was very highly rated by a lot of people and was a good defender, nothing fancy just basic.  Was one of those who initially didn't suffer from drinking when it come to playing but quickly dropped when things became more professional.

Moore was outstanding for a while but seemed too nervous, and never really in good physical shape.
Tortured-Mind

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »

JAMIE FUCKING POLLOCK  mcl

IF HE HAD LEFT THE PARMOS ALONE  :alastair:

charles :alf:
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »

Gavin was the standout player for Ireland when they won the under 18s euro champs, highly rated by the Irish national set-up and the Boro and heavily supported by the likes of Paul McGrath.  Just couldn't handle the drink like McGrath and fell away.

You jungle dwelling cock muncher   mcl
Schellenberg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

Watched some old clips yesterday. I forgot just how good Malcom Christie looked when he first joined. Shame he was so injury prone.

He is good at selling Aston Martins now. He is one of the sales men at Aston Martin Newcastle
Schellenberg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »

Keith o neill as well
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

Gavin was the standout player for Ireland when they won the under 18s euro champs, highly rated by the Irish national set-up and the Boro and heavily supported by the likes of Paul McGrath.  Just couldn't handle the drink like McGrath and fell away.

You jungle dwelling cock muncher   mcl

Sorry but you are wrong. Never progressed at all from under 18s and was seen as a bit of a joke. Absolute mule. What did he do after geting released?

This is the point of the thread.  Players that could have been good.  He was a top player in his age group, played a fair bit in the Premier League and then disappeared.   charles
Mattyk50

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »

Keith o neill as well

I fucking loved “Keet”. He was a loon on the pitch

Rob Nichols ruined my life.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »

Keith o neill as well

Never played more than 10 games in a row throughout his career and had to retire at 27 because of degenerative bone disease in his spine.
Decent player when on form.

Mattyk50

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »

souey

Park footballer at best.

Keith Oneill?

Behave man. Talented footballer.

JB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »

souey

Park footballer at best.

Keith Oneill?

Behave man. Talented footballer.

met him in copper face jacks, dublin with his brother in law good night  :beer:

Boro born n Bread
Redcar Red

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »

Cameron park  souey lost
towz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:07 AM »

Philo Stampinho
coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »

there's a reason why some players don't progress beyond their initial promise,and it's usually because that's as far as they can go on their talent,some may have had injuries,most reached their peak and that's all they had.
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »

Most pro footballers are pros due to physical advantages like pace and strength.

Once those advantages go, they turn out to be nothing flash ability wise.

coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

there's a reason why some players don't progress beyond their initial promise,and it's usually because that's as far as they can go on their talent,some may have had injuries,most reached their peak and that's all they had.

There's something in that of course, but there's limited players playing at the top because they ware good athletes. Jordan Henderson starts for England and is Liverpool skipper and he is bang average. Bet you any money he doesn't spend 4 nights a week in the pub though.
some players named could have lived like monks but would have never been any better than they were,the greats can do what they want and still perform but you are  right to say if players live right they can maintain a standard.
coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »

Injuries can happen to the best,(Owen and his hamstrings) wonder how many got injured and convalesced in the pub,that's the difference.
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »

Injuries can happen to the best,(Owen and his hamstrings) wonder how many got injured and convalesced in the pub,that's the difference.

Owen was never as good once he lost his bit of extra pace.

Jake Andrews

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »

Mustapha Carayol. Got some unfortunate injuries at unfortunate times & then had a Manager who couldn't stand him.
Jake Andrews

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »

Chris Smalling.

:pd:
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

Jaime Moreno.

coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »

should really be called "players who had potential and never realised it.". :aitor:
Mattyk50

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »

I remember there was an article in the programme explaining how to pronounce his name. “Hi-me”

Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

How about this for the ultimate player who could have done more and been better? Mido. He looked a world beater when we signed him. He was on fire playing alongside the hard work Tuncay then Southgate dropped him to accommodate Alves and Mido spat his dummy and was never the same again. I'm in no way justifying his behaviour but a stronger manager would have got enough out of Mido to keep us up that season.

Mido

Downing               Tuncay          Johnson

That would have kept us up, instead Johnson was dropped for Aliturd ffs.

Mid was considered superior to Zlatan for a while at Ajax.

Mido spat his dummy out everywhere he went.

I dont specifically blame Southgate for Mido being a cunt.  charles

coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

How about this for the ultimate player who could have done more and been better? Mido. He looked a world beater when we signed him. He was on fire playing alongside the hard work Tuncay then Southgate dropped him to accommodate Alves and Mido spat his dummy and was never the same again. I'm in no way justifying his behaviour but a stronger manager would have got enough out of Mido to keep us up that season.

Mido

Downing               Tuncay          Johnson

I dont specifically blame Southgate for Mido being a cunt.  charles
exactly right,half season wonder then loses interest. :wanker:
towz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »

Fat cunt :mido:
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »

It was strange because watching Mido in games he seemed like he cared at first; very vocal and putting a shift in.  Then he become a fat, lazy shite very quickly after.   charles
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »

Mido

Downing               Tuncay          Johnson

I dont specifically blame Southgate for Mido being a cunt.  charles

I'm in no way refuting that but as a Manager when your back is against the wall you have to get a tune out of such players, and he was then bizarrely dropped him for no reason when he was playing well. Was it late October? Something like that and he spat his dummy and fucked off. Had Southgate put up with him and played him as he should have we may have got 10 more points and stayed up.

Better managers then SOuthgate failed to get effort out of Mido.

It was a panic signing, £6m and probably 40k pw and we ended up bining him for nothing.

Id say probably our worst signing ever because everyone knew he was a cunt.  

Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

Again that is not the issue. In relation to the thread he could have been a good player just a bad attitude.

In relation to Southgate, he only needed to keep him playing well for a few months and we'd have stayed up. He dropped him when he was playing well. The end was somewhat inevitable. The timing of it and what you extract from a deprecating asset is the difference between a good manager and a bad one.

We should have signed Bent instead of Alves or Mido.

:like: I said that at the time.

He was a proven British striker in Spurs reserves and we could have got him for the cost of Alves.

But Gibbo hadnt got over the Juninho "bums on seats, samba band" effect.  :meltdown:

BigNasty

Be consistent you hypocritical fuckwits.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »

Jordan Henderson starts for England and is Liverpool skipper and he is bang average. Bet you any money he doesn't spend 4 nights a week in the pub though.

You would lose your money.
Lalana tried to drop him in the shit when they got caught in the brass house.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length