Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:14:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

News: We go again...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Players who could have been good?  (Read 700 times)
The Better man

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »

Watched some old clips yesterday. I forgot just how good Malcom Christie looked when he first joined. Shame he was so injury prone.

Cob's second most arrogant man.
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »

Slizard Nemath would have scored a lot for the Boro, but in those days we could afford big name players, so his chances were limited.

23 in 117 when most of those 117 games were from the bench.

He's fat, hes round, his arse trails on the ground.
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:20 AM »

Does this include all the near miss transfers, or just players who got a start but never really a full chance?
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »

Yeah Nemeth he was another on the clips, scored some good goals, Southgate ruined him by sticking him on the wing. Had he played as a poacher think he'd have had a 1 in 2 record.

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »

Does this include all the near miss transfers, or just players who got a start but never really a full chance?

No rules. 

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »

I was never a big fan but Tomlin could have been a good player, hard to have any sympathy with a fat professional footballer though.

Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »

I was never a big fan but Tomlin could have been a good player, hard to have any sympathy with a fat professional footballer though.

Scored more goals and made more assists in his year here then Downing has in his last two and a half.

thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

Carlos Marinelli.

In a reserve game against I think it was West Ham, their bench and in particular Joe Cole were creaming their pants over him. A fellow team-mate of mine, Andy Campbell, said he was the best he had seen technique and skill wise.

Sadly, his masyerclass against derby county? Was the closest he got to fulfilling that potential.
Bob End and his Sexy Bitch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »

Cattermole, without any doubt whatsoever
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:18:21 AM »

Hahahahaha cattermole hahahahahaha

I hope that was a joke Robert.

:alf: :alf: :alf:

calamity

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »

Was going to say Cattermole.  With a bit more composure and some shooting he could have been brilliant.

Morrison seems to have had a very good career after moving on, and could have been a fixture in the midfield here for a decade.

Tony McMahon always brought up in these debates, and Bates was good before the problems.

Maccarone was the big one for me, had a brilliant start and then just seemed to drop off, had his moments after too and it never seemed to be attitude that was the problem.  Gone on to a decent career back in Italy.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »

Same with Matty Bates who is one of the best youth players I ahve ever seen. I lose sympathy for them because they both spent half their life in the pub. There's no way they can say they gave it everything they had.

Cattermole was a limited player but could have done a job cleaning up. Southgate's weakness showed replacing him with Digard who had the heart of a pea.

TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »

Marco Branca

12 games, 9 goals.

:mido:

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »

Good god. Lee Cattermole and Matty Bates. Really?

Limited footballers who have found their level. Cattermole in particular would have dropped through the divisions like a stone had it not been for his 'i need to get match fit" excuses. Matty Bates did. More talented players in the northern league.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »

Marco Branca

12 games, 9 goals.

:mido:

To be fair, he was top class. Such a shame about his injury. Best finisher I have seen at boro. You'd dont get players of that quality in the chumps these days. Forest had Van Hooijdonk ffs. We had Merson. Just doesn't happen now.

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »

Was going to say Cattermole.  With a bit more composure and some shooting he could have been brilliant.

Morrison seems to have had a very good career after moving on, and could have been a fixture in the midfield here for a decade.

Tony McMahon always brought up in these debates, and Bates was good before the problems.

Maccarone was the big one for me, had a brilliant start and then just seemed to drop off, had his moments after too and it never seemed to be attitude that was the problem.  Gone on to a decent career back in Italy.

Morrison going was just poor management. Aside from him though, it is odd that so many that came through the ranks were crocks, McMahon was a good defender at first, good solid player. Injuries ruined him.

Jake Andrews

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »

Jordan Rhodes.

calamity

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »

Morrison going was just poor management. Aside from him though, it is odd that so many that came through the ranks were crocks, McMahon was a good defender at first, good solid player. Injuries ruined him.

Think it was probably all down to lifestyle.  They came up at the end of the Robson era, so the drinking culture was probably fairly well embedded.  The irish centre back Gavin (?) was apparently very good too, just permanently pissed.  
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »

Vlad Kinder a dashing left back who had a few goals in him.  :like:

Possibly the first goatee seen on a Boro player.

Not so dashing now.

thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »

Think it was probably all down to lifestyle.  They came up at the end of the Robson era, so the drinking culture was probably fairly well embedded.  The irish centre back Gavin (?) was apparently very good too, just permanently pissed.  

:unlike: Jason Gavin. A  complete mule. Proved by him doing nothing at all of note in his career. Spent afew afternoons with him on the  top floor bookies at Marton shops mind. Decent fella but no talent.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »

I remember Jason Gavin playing wing back for a while, looked a quality player then went to shit.

What about Alan Moore. Was he all just hype? He had a fantastic spell in the chumps. He used to date a girl in my class at college as his star was waning. Never seemed to be pissed up all the time and very shy.

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »

Vlad Kinder a dashing left back who had a few goals in him.  :like:

Possibly the first goatee seen on a Boro player.

Not so dashing now.

Would be the first name on Monk's team sheet an attacking wing back who wasn't a good defender. Was useful when we play wing backs. Idiotic getting sent off against Chesterfield though. Scored some goals after he left us, wonder if he moved into midfield.

calamity

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »

Gavin was very highly rated by a lot of people and was a good defender, nothing fancy just basic.  Was one of those who initially didn't suffer from drinking when it come to playing but quickly dropped when things became more professional.

Moore was outstanding for a while but seemed too nervous, and never really in good physical shape.
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »

Alan Moore was a shy drunkard. Ruined him.

Jason Gavin, as i mentioned, was fuckin dogshit.

:alf:
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »

Alan Moore was a shy drunkard. Ruined him.

Jason Gavin, as i mentioned, was fuckin dogshit.

:alf:

All witnessed first hand.

:like:
THE WIFEBEATER

IT GOES BUMM DIDDY BUMM DIDDY BUMM DIDDY DOO....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »

JAMIE FUCKING POLLOCK  mcl

IF HE HAD LEFT THE PARMOS ALONE  :alastair:

charles :alf:
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »

Gavin was the standout player for Ireland when they won the under 18s euro champs, highly rated by the Irish national set-up and the Boro and heavily supported by the likes of Paul McGrath.  Just couldn't handle the drink like McGrath and fell away.

You jungle dwelling cock muncher   mcl
Schellenberg

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

Watched some old clips yesterday. I forgot just how good Malcom Christie looked when he first joined. Shame he was so injury prone.

He is good at selling Aston Martins now. He is one of the sales men at Aston Martin Newcastle
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

Pollock was highly rated around the stockton/norton area as a kid. Not as highly rated as Andy Ripley though who had the potential to be top class. He was a Marton lad and England youth captain. Best player I have played with.
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »

Gavin was the standout player for Ireland when they won the under 18s euro champs, highly rated by the Irish national set-up and the Boro and heavily supported by the likes of Paul McGrath.  Just couldn't handle the drink like McGrath and fell away.

Sorry but you are wrong. Never progressed at all from under 18s and was seen as a bit of a joke. Absolute mule. What did he do after geting released?
Schellenberg

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »

Keith o neill as well
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »

How about Fjortoft? Was pretty poor in the chumps but in the premier league with Hignett and Barmby behind he looked a quality player. He was a lot better than Beck for my money.

I'd never sacrificed Juninho but I do wonder if we'd spent money on sorting the defence what a team we could have built.

Another who was a lot better than Beck was Johnny Hendrie should have kept him.

thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

Antony Ormerod was a proper handful when i played against him. Certainly a stand out player from the area when i was playing. Could name loads from my Guidbrough days aswell who were really top quality but never progressed beyond an.initial pro contract.
calamity

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

Sorry but you are wrong. Never progressed at all from under 18s and was seen as a bit of a joke. Absolute mule. What did he do after geting released?

This is the point of the thread.  Players that could have been good.  He was a top player in his age group, played a fair bit in the Premier League and then disappeared.   charles
Mattyk50

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »

Keith o neill as well

I fucking loved “Keet”. He was a loon on the pitch

Rob Nichols ruined my life.
TerryCochranesSocks

Pull your socks up Tel.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »

Keith o neill as well

Never played more than 10 games in a row throughout his career and had to retire at 27 because of degenerative bone disease in his spine.
Decent player when on form.

I fuckin' hate smart-arsed signatures
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »

This is the point of the thread.  Players that could have been good.  He was a top player in his age group, played a fair bit in the Premier League and then disappeared.   charles

I know what the point of the thread is. Its just he was never really that good. Had no standout features apart from being slightly more physically developed than his team-mates/opponents at that age. As soon as they caught up he was in trouble.
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »

Keith o neill as well

I fucking loved “Keet”. He was a loon on the pitch

Yes good shout, another victim to the booze and injuries. When he moved to Wing back so we could play Ziege in central midfield he was outstanding.

thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »

souey

Park footballer at best.
Mattyk50

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »

souey

Park footballer at best.

Keith Oneill?

Behave man. Talented footballer.

Rob Nichols ruined my life.
JB

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »

souey

Park footballer at best.

Keith Oneill?

met him in copper face jacks, dublin with his brother in law good night  :beer:

Boro born n Bread
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

souey

Park footballer at best.

Keith Oneill?

No way. Tall, strong and a bit of pace. That was it. Limited talent.
Redcar Red

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »

Cameron park  souey lost
The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »

Anthony Peacock seemed to be tearing up the youth team, last time I saw him he wasn't even that good in the Sunday league.

towz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:07 AM »

Philo Stampinho
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »

I was just about to say anthony peacock. Mates with his sister. Very very highly thought of but never developed physically and was considered too small. They expected him to grow quite a bit and develop his pace and strength. Never happened though. Excellent footballer though.
 :like:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:59:27 AM by thebannedone » Logged
coulbyboro.

Ave it'.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »

there's a reason why some players don't progress beyond their initial promise,and it's usually because that's as far as they can go on their talent,some may have had injuries,most reached their peak and that's all they had.
thebannedone

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »

Correct. And most of those players are the ones who mature physically before the rest of their age group. Gives them a huge advantage in the early stages.
Nilgredo Mido

The Beast of COB

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »

Most pro footballers are pros due to physical advantages like pace and strength.

Once those advantages go, they turn out to be nothing flash ability wise.

The Better man

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »

there's a reason why some players don't progress beyond their initial promise,and it's usually because that's as far as they can go on their talent,some may have had injuries,most reached their peak and that's all they had.

There's something in that of course, but there's limited players playing at the top because they ware good athletes. Jordan Henderson starts for England and is Liverpool skipper and he is bang average. Bet you any money he doesn't spend 4 nights a week in the pub though.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length